GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after all the talk lately im finally getting ready to install the ls1 fans ive had sitting around, im not sure though if i should get a 145amp alt or just put the pulley on my 105amp. i know the bigger alt is the better way to go but id rather not spend the extra cash if not necessary. i dont have a system, aux lights, or any other draw on my system so i was wondering who uses the overdrive pulley w/ the factory alt. i wont ever add underdrive pulley so that wont be an issue down the road either

·
bass is a addiction
465 Posts
well the overdrive pulley might help a bit BUT its still a moderate alternator. it will help at idle but not much more. its only a small temp solution. if you want to be sure your good get both. the overdrive pulley and higher power alternator FTW ;)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Overdrive pulley? details please

·
bass is a addiction
465 Posts
Overdrive pulley? details please
a overdrive pulley is just a smaller pulley on the alternator that makes it turn faster. which basically raises your RPMs of the alternator at idle speed since most alternators put out more power at higher rpm range. i think at1-2K dont quote me;)

and with a overdrive you also need a smaller belt to compensate for the smaller pulley.
these are 2 overdrive pulleys. but the one didnt quite cut it so i found the smaller pulley to use.

it wasnt much smaller but it did make a difference on my idle output!

this is my civics overdrive pulley which is alot more noticable from the stock pulley to overdrive pulley ;)

alternatorcivic-02.jpg

alternatorcivic-01.jpg

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess i never thought about that i would need a new belt for the smaller pulley, i know the bigger alt takes a bigger belt. how do i know what alt will work for mine ive been lookin on ebay and new gm alternators go for less than $100 but they are usually for diesels

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
I've got a brand new unmounted ASP alternator Over-drive pulley up for grabs if you're interested. I could sell and ship for cheap. let me know.

hmm, I've actually got a few new belts sitting around too, one might fit....

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the junk yards around here arent worth shit, the price on that new one isnt bad as long as it will work, i thought the connector changed sometime? what size belt will i need now?

·
The Treasure State
288 Posts
Connector is the 4 pin one that you currently have. Should have changed sometime around the NNBS. The belt is whatever size fits on a 05-06 w/ the 145a alternator.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Just spend $100 for the alt dude.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've got a brand new unmounted ASP alternator Over-drive pulley up for grabs if you're interested. I could sell and ship for cheap. let me know.

hmm, I've actually got a few new belts sitting around too, one might fit....

How much? Fit an OBS?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I just did my fans and I have a 105 alt no power loss at all. I am using 05+ fans though

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok thanks for the help guys im gonna order my harness today with out the pulley and order the alternator i posted about, aside from the longer belt that alternator will work and be plug and play right?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts