GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody out there gettin this in either the city or on the freeway in the nbs silverado v-8 (99-06)?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
my dads stock as 00 get 19.5 on the interestate. 00 5.3, a4, ext cab short bed 2wd.

·
meow
15,748 Posts
Me and my buddy got 20 mpg's highway in a 2002 GMC 5.3 4x4. Cousin in law get's 13.5 with E-85 in his 05 5.3 4x4

·
Registered
367 Posts
02 4.8 V8 ECSB 2wd All stock, 60k miles

22 MPG all highway, windows down, no AC, 70* outside. I drove 7 hours on saturday and am not lying.

I get 14 in city though.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm getting between 14-15 on average per tank. Thats with 9" of lift with 35's and 4.88 gears.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
this last tank, i grannied around the whole tank and only got 12.7:pow:
Do you drive where there is a lot of traffic? Stop-and-go? Constantly hitting red lights? etc...

75% of my driving is in "rush hour" traffic. I leave at 7:30am to go to school everyday, so I get stuck with the school/work traffic. It takes me 30 minutes to drive 6.5 miles. I usually drive home between 3:15-5:00pm, so I get stuck in all of the school/work traffic again. When I head to work, I leave at 4:30pm... again, stuck with people getting off of work.

School and work are less than 7 miles away, but it takes me nearly 30 minutes to get there. (Without traffic, I could easily do it in 10 minutes.)

I think this absolutely kills my mileage. I literally can't drive more than 1/4 of a mile without stopping again. I'm lucky if I hit 1 light green on my way to school or work.

·
OG
1,498 Posts
Are you guys getting these readings off the 'Driver Information Center' or just calculating them yourselves? Cause I get usually 10.5-11.5 MPG in the city according to my DIC, but this doesn't include my 305/45/R22 tires that were never calibrated to the computer :think:

I just find it hard to believe I get that poor of MPG because I don't really step on it too much unless I'm in a hurry. I have the K&N 77 series intake and thought that would help, but no luck I guess.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I calculate it after I fill up. I don't even have the DIC thing on my truck.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
15 all city/18.5 highway

City is usually shifting at around 3-4k rpms and highway driving is around 90 mph.

No secrets other than I use EFI Live to tune my 99 5.3L ecsb silverado

·
OG
1,498 Posts
15 all city/18.5 highway

City is usually shifting at around 3-4k rpms and highway driving is around 90 mph.

No secrets other than I use EFI Live to tune my 99 5.3L ecsb silverado
I've never done a tune to any of the vehicles I've had. Are they really worth it? I've always been inclined to get one, but have no knowledge at all. I always hear the name 'Hypertech', are they any good? I just back away at the price.... usually $350-500 for the kit :jawdrop:

I'm more into cosmetics with my Tahoe...... oustide and inside. I'd rather spend the $300+ towards Katzkins or a Corsa exhaust :D

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I've never done a tune to any of the vehicles I've had. Are they really worth it? I've always been inclined to get one, but have no knowledge at all. I always hear the name 'Hypertech', are they any good? I just back away at the price.... usually $350-500 for the kit :jawdrop:

I'm more into cosmetics with my Tahoe...... oustide and inside. I'd rather spend the $300+ towards Katzkins or a Corsa exhaust :D
Hypershit is absolutely a waste of money. I would never buy one or any handheld programmer for that matter.

In your case I would buy a wait4me tune. $158.10 shipped . I gained 3 mpg using his tune. I run 93 octane, but the mpg increase offsets the $5 a tank cost. I was getting close to 20mpg driving all highway at 90-110 mph before my cam swap.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have the K&N 77 series intake and thought that would help, but no luck I guess.
Primary purpose of an intake is to remove a restriction in the intake tract... this doesn't come into effect until large airflow volumes are at play.
An exhaust system (and headers) on the other hand will improve the engine's ability to remove exhaust gas, and thus pull in a fresh charge of air/fuel.

The jury's still out on my fuel mileage on the SS, but I've seen over 20mpg on the highway with the tires inflated properly and keeping it below 70. That does incorporate some "special" tuning though.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
i get around 16mpg city, interstate 19/20 depending on my speed.

Dave

·
Registered
586 Posts
....75% of my driving is in "rush hour" traffic. I leave at 7:30am to go to school everyday, so I get stuck with the school/work traffic. It takes me 30 minutes to drive 6.5 miles. I usually drive home between 3:15-5:00pm, so I get stuck in all of the school/work traffic again. When I head to work, I leave at 4:30pm... again, stuck with people getting off of work.

School and work are less than 7 miles away, but it takes me nearly 30 minutes to get there. (Without traffic, I could easily do it in 10 minutes.)

I think this absolutely kills my mileage. I literally can't drive more than 1/4 of a mile without stopping again. I'm lucky if I hit 1 light green on my way to school or work.
You are gonna get crappy mileage with that type of traffic. 80% of the time you're idling - idling is 0mpg. (it actually could turn in gpm if it got bad enough)

·
Asian as fuck!
3,863 Posts
I get 17-18ish in town and somewhere like 22-23 on the highway, driving at 80-90mph. my truck is a 5.3 RCSB

1 - 20 of 31 Posts