GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have a problem with my 2004 GMC Sierra 1500HD. I have noticed recently...when I am driving slowly (anywhere between driving off and upwards of around 25 MPH), I hear a whirling/swooshing sound coming from the underneath of my truck; the noise seems to be around the center area of the truck. While driving in my truck, the noise is directly under my center console. As I said, it's somewhat of a whirling/swooshing sounds and it becomes louder as I continue to speed up; the noise will stop once I reach speeds of around 30 MPH and higher. The noise is a difficult noise to explain, without hearing the noise yourself firsthand, but can anyone here possibly help me out?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I think I may have a problem with my 2004 GMC Sierra 1500HD. I have noticed recently...when I am driving slowly (anywhere between driving off and upwards of around 25 MPH), I hear a whirling/swooshing sound coming from the underneath of my truck; the noise seems to be around the center area of the truck. While driving in my truck, the noise is directly under my center console. As I said, it's somewhat of a whirling/swooshing sounds and it becomes louder as I continue to speed up; the noise will stop once I reach speeds of around 30 MPH and higher. The noise is a difficult noise to explain, without hearing the noise yourself firsthand, but can anyone here possibly help me out?

Thank you!
Sounds like water sloshing around in your heater core? Maybe it's low in coolant and air is in the system???

Mr. 960

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Does it always do this at 25-30mph? Or only after you've been driving a few miles?

Is your truck 4wd? If so, the front and rear driveshafts are balanced using weights. If a weight fell off, there's a possibility that this whirring sound could be an un-balanced driveshaft. Look at your rear driveshaft (and front d-shaft if your truck is 4wd) and look for spots of glueish material where a weight is missing.

Could also be a worn u-joint maybe. How many miles are on your '04?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a fish tank in your center console mabe?:endofshow
...haha, nah, it's not that, dude. I was also thinking it has something to do with my driveshaft(s). I'll check it out tomorrow morning, and yes, my truck is four wheel drive and I have around 53,000 miles on my truck. Thanks to everyone for helping me out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts