GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyobyd know if a 2006 chevy can fit a 16.5 in rim?? I found a set of tires and rims on craigslist for a steal price but dont wanna waste the time and money on the drive if i cant fit the rims. I was thinking i could use them as an "offroad" set with the tires and keep some AT's for DD.

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah its old school alright they guys about 3.5 hours from me wants 300 for some 36 iroks with 16.5x12 welds. If they fit they'd make a nice beater rim and gimme a wider stance and hell id put some boggers on them and run them on the trails.

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
I thought you couldnt fit anything smaller then a 17, because something about able to clear something I forget what though..

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought you couldnt fit anything smaller then a 17, because something about able to clear something I forget what though..

I know you cant with 16in they rub on the caliper. But do the 16.5's hit?

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
I know you cant with 16in they rub on the caliper. But do the 16.5's hit?
text 542542 for an answer lol its only 99cents haha they are pretty good too, and fast.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
i looked at mine i think it will clear. but 16.5 are scary and will leave you stranded

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
yes they'll fit i run them on my 06 2500hd even...

now 15in rims you'll have trouble's with :crazy:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
what he said. they quick makin them for a reason
i still have never seen one blown out 16.5 and know plenty of people that tow with them, they stopped producing them because everyone's going to bigger rims. any tire can blow with or without a "safety bead" keep the tire within its limits and psi requirement's and you should'nt have any trouble's...

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
i still have never seen one blown out 16.5 and know plenty of people that tow with them, they stopped producing them because everyone's going to bigger rims. any tire can blow with or without a "safety bead" keep the tire within its limits and psi requirement's and you should'nt have any trouble's...

the point is when you air down a lil or are crawling around or in nasty shit they are way more likely to fail. i ran a set for 2 yrs on my j20 because i was a broke ass teenager. when you wheel your truck, and use your truck offroad they have a tendency to fuck you. i was left atleast 3 times i know of without really thinking about it

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
well since he wants to use them as strictly offroad rims, and people generally run under 15 psi offroad, the whole safety bead thing becomes more of an issue.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
16.5's don't have a safety bead
MOST 16.5s dont. afaik all aftermarket 16.5s dont...but i know SOME OE gm wheels did.

16.5 are outdated...only good thing now is the humvee beadlocks that go so cheap.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
My truck has a door sticker for 16" wheels. I think my old 17s were an upgrade. Maybe it has something to do with GM switching back to rear drum brakes.

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I totally didnt know about the safety bead thing. I had a set when i bought my old f350 and i aired them down to 20psi all the time and never had any issues but what a pita it woulda been. Thanks for the input guys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts