GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, If I were to change out my thermostat to a 160, if it would help my truck any? Also would porting my throttle body help any either. I have heard that the thermostat is not going to help without the computer being tuned to it but I will be getting black bear in September. So what can ya tell me?

·
GMFS Member
1,034 Posts
LMFAO....oh now you are all about getting the mods before Justin comes to tune your ride eh? And yesterday you werent getting it hmmm, who made you change your mind? Me or Mark?

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
porting your tb should be one of your last mods, unless you have free time and want to do it yourself. Probally wont be worth your time though.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My friend told me that it could help but I told him that I wouldnt see a diffrence really. Thanks though.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My friend told me that it could help but I told him that I wouldnt see a diffrence really. Thanks though.
Yea, it makes sense that if you run an engine cooler, it would be better for it. But these new cars these days need to warm up for best performance, running an engine to cold will actually hurt the vehicle and cause more damage in the long run.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Id throw in a 180 Those allow for just a bit more timing as far as a 160, thats way too low. You need some heat in there for combustion

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So a 180 would help then? I know you need a tune for it to really work but my friend is the one that suggested this since its a easy mod

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
So a 180 would help then? I know you need a tune for it to really work but my friend is the one that suggested this since its a easy mod
cheap and easy so you wont lose much even if it didnt. Just swapping it in wont do anything but putting it in and telling him that you have it when its tuned will allow him to pull a little bit more timing. I mean if you are really concerned about it just call or email your tuner and see what he says. I do know that everyone i talked to when i swapped one in mine said that it was beneficial with a tune, including the tuner

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cheap and easy so you wont lose much even if it didnt. Just swapping it in wont do anything but putting it in and telling him that you have it when its tuned will allow him to pull a little bit more timing. I mean if you are really concerned about it just call or email your tuner and see what he says. I do know that everyone i talked to when i swapped one in mine said that it was beneficial with a tune, including the tuner
Ill email Justin then, because I'm getting a black bear in September and I knew the thermostat would not do anything without a tune really. Thanks smith.:shake:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts