GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Yep, saw it at SEMA...

My thoughts:

1) I would not run a hydro winch. Especially if you plan on hydro assist steering in the future, your pump will die!

2) The line speed on the 16.5ti is sloooowwwwww... One of the main reasons I run a 9.5i, fastest line speed!

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could care less about line speed, I want to be able to get out. A 9500 would be great if it was like winching like you do, but it seems like I need alot more if Im buried in thick thick mud. a 9500i barely got me out the otehr day with a snatch block, and when I sfa I would not be shocked if I got significatly more stuck than I was. If I did the hydro I would get a better ps pump. The initial winch Is was cheaper... like 850, but you need the lines (quick disconnect) and a new pump so it comes out near the same.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I read somewhere a review of the milemarker on a jeep, they ran it dragging a jeep up a hill with its parking brake on and the milemarker never even flinched, and nor did the power steering pump. I think to run that 16.5k warn you'll need another yellow top and a bigger alternator. I dunno, Im not a fan of electrics, they're always overheating and don't last very long if your engine dies.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah but the hydro wont run without your engine, but can winch longer. Allthough I was impressed hwo long the 9500i went compared to that ramsey 8k one we used at the pipeline.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Well okie dokie then.

Just make sure you have one hell of a bumper to put that winch on... I watched a 15k pound warn rip the front frame horns off a 87 chevy not too long ago!

Also, you may want to think about 24 volt... It is much more efficient and the winch will run way longer before burning up. You just need 2 additional batteries and a regulator system. A few companies are making the kits now. I think Petersons did a write up on one recently actually.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well my bumper didnt budge when big d jerked the hell out of it, enough to snap a 40k strap. Also jason what do you think of this. The way my front bumper is welded on now will mess up where the front hangers for leafs will hand I think. I was thinking of cutting the frame off where it bells down (about 4-6" in) and welding on a piece of square tubing that slides over the frame and has teh hangers built into it to replace it. It would also be where the bumper was welded on. I would also add a cross member at the front of the frame there for strength.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
willyswanter said:
Just make sure you have one hell of a bumper to put that winch on... I watched a 15k pound warn rip the front frame horns off a 87 chevy not too long ago!.
Yeah, those old frames seem to be really weak. My buddy got his Blazer stuck and only had 33s, and got a tractor to pull him out...ripped the frame horns off...Im willing to bet the NBS frame horns and everything are much stronger...but still, you will need a GREAT place to winch from if you want to keep the front of your frame straight when you get stuck with the 40s and SFA.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Well never mind on my last post...I typed it while u were in the process of typin urs Stephen. It looks like you will have everything covered already.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
stephen.. when we did crazy aggies front bumper, that was our only afterthought to cut off that section of the frame in the front before it bells out. we will do it sometime later. that front section is thinner metal. your idea to cut that and redo it seems good.

as for the winch situation. stephen you are a crazy sumbitch. i sell warn 8K and 9K i series winches to people with CC/LWB powerstrokes and cummins. they use them for YEARS with no problems. if you think you need bigger, you are crazier than i thought with your truck. lemme know what winch you need and ill see what i can do. ranch hand is now a warn red letter distributor, so we got some connections.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awsome ill probably cut it off like that and weld on some .25" tubing. By the way im very impressed with your bumper, it didnt flench when mark jerked on me and snapped a 40k strap... I didnt move.

Yes I am a crazy mofo, the 9500 that got me out almost didnt make it, and it was snatched on a HO alternator. Thats 19k of pulling force and it was bare minimum.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
Awsome ill probably cut it off like that and weld on some .25" tubing. By the way im very impressed with your bumper, it didnt flench when mark jerked on me and snapped a 40k strap... I didnt move.

Yes I am a crazy mofo, the 9500 that got me out almost didnt make it, and it was snatched on a HO alternator. Thats 19k of pulling force and it was bare minimum.
Ti or i series ?

·
Registered
832 Posts
well..I dont have SFA or 42s but im going to be getting a 15k winch. I believe is overkill to the extreme. I'm going to set it up so i can use two snatch blocks with it. One thing about pulling is that your pulling all the wieght of the earth with you....usually if you take the time to get a lil dirty and dig some ruts in front of the tires and use the highlift to break the suction of the mud you come out easily...But then theres the time that you cant do that....thats when you need the extra pulling power.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Eisenfaust said:
well..I dont have SFA or 42s but im going to be getting a 15k winch. I believe is overkill to the extreme. I'm going to set it up so i can use two snatch blocks with it. One thing about pulling is that your pulling all the wieght of the earth with you....usually if you take the time to get a lil dirty and dig some ruts in front of the tires and use the highlift to break the suction of the mud you come out easily...But then theres the time that you cant do that....thats when you need the extra pulling power.
:word:

EXACTLY what im talking about!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts