GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hope everyone is doin well, and thanks for takin the time to read this.. so i have the stock chrome exterior door handles,but i was wondering if anyone knows what it would take to upgrade them to either the plastic door handles that come on 92 chevy trucks or newer??? is this possible ? i mean i know it maynot be an exact fit, but what do i have to look foreward to????? thanx

daniel

·
DisgruntleD
3,822 Posts
I've never heard of a kit to do this, the mechanics of it wouldn't be at all difficult, but like Matt said, its going to require some welding and body work on the door. That and the curvature of the handles probably won't exactly match the door on your 84 anywhere. So after you have removed the old handle, and welded the two holes shut, you will have to find where you want to mount the new handle and cut a new hole, also keep in mind the door was designed for its original handle, the door skin may flex significantly when using the new handles, as the 88-98 doors were braced differently.

Why do you want to do this? If its for looks, all the effort you would put in you may just as well shave the door handles. If its for function, the old chrome handle is a more robust unit than the newer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanx guys, yeA it was for looks, and i thot about shaving the handles, how do they work exactly? i mean is it a button under the body?? or an alarm that can pop the doors (like with a trunk)???? thanx again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.