GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year my mechanic replaced everything on my a/c unit on my 1988 chevy silverado. Vacuumed out the old freon ..... . Worked great for two months but seldom used. After that it stopped working. It blew warm air. I thought maybe there was a leak but when I tried to add freon the gage said full and the a/c clutch was running. Usually the a/c clutch will come on after you put enough freon in it. Also all the a/c hoses were very hot to touch. So not sure what to do at this point. A/c clutch is on but no cold air. Text my mechanic a few times. He told me that system just leaks and there is nothing to do about it. After that he quit texting back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took my 88 Chevy to Pep Boys. Boys hooked it up to a machine to see what was going on. There were only two guys working there, a mechanic and a mechanic/customer service. After 45 minutes, the customer service guy told me it needed to be vacuumed and freon, $300. to fix with guarantee. I said just do it. Three minutes later, the mechanic is bringing me my truck. The customer service guy tells me to stay inside the office. So I stand there watch as the two guys sit in my cab discussing what they are going to do. The mechanic comes in and says "the machine read zero/zero, so I added alittle freon and it works great. Pep Boys have a lot of money and he is not going to charge me anything. But this might not work for long so now I know what to expect. If you feel like doing something for me how about a pizza and a beer for lunch." I thanked him about 30 times. Hope he likes pepperoni.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts