GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1990 k1500 i put new idler are, pitman arm, and tierods in my truck, along with ball joints. my steering still is extremely loose what could it be?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Steering box? Bad hubs?

·
JUGS Racing
1,199 Posts
Rag joint? Did you just throw parts at it or did you inpsect your front end first.

Also have you had it aligned already?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have not had it aligned and i inspected it all and it all needed to be replaced i have snapped two idler arms on it but i went through and rebuilt front dif the other day and check to make sure everything was still tight and good. i dont know what rag joint is or how to check steering box, also my wheel has about 25- 35 degrees of play in it

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
i have not had it aligned and i inspected it all and it all needed to be replaced i have snapped two idler arms on it but i went through and rebuilt front dif the other day and check to make sure everything was still tight and good. i dont know what rag joint is or how to check steering box, also my wheel has about 25- 35 degrees of play in it
It is pretty easy to check. Have someone sit inside and rock the steering wheel back and forth in the "play" area of it. If you look and see your wheels, tie rods, pitman/idler arms are all staying still, that means they are good and the play is before that. If you can see the steering shaft coming from the column moving but little/no motion on the other end of the steering box the box is worn out. The rag joint is a flat round rubber connector between the steering shaft and the steering box, it could be ripped or torn, again look for more motion on one side and less on the other of this joint to isolate the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts