GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a previous thread I inquired about the lack of HVAC function in my friend's '95 Suburban. After finally figuring out it was the ignition switch and getting it all back together I decided to take it for a cruise around the block. I barely made it. It starts and idles fine but put it in gear and you can smell the gas, it runs like it's hitting on 4 cylinders and there is zero power.

So I called my friend and he said it ran great on the way to my house. I have no way to confirm this, other than to take his word. The only time I would drive this thing was from the street to my driveway so I can't be certain of how it was running before or when the problem started. I would start the truck, idle into the drive and shut it off or leave it running to fool with the a/c. The battery went completely dead one time when I failed to realize the glove box light was on so I pulled the battery and had it charged. It has started fine since.

I limped it to O'Reilly Auto Parts and it showed a BTC 44 code, O2 sensor, lean. The truck is running super rich. I replaced the plugs (before pulling codes) checked the MAP sensor (it checked good following on-line how-to) and I don't have a scan tool to check the O2 sensor or Coolant temp sensor.

Any other thoughts? I really need this thing fixed and gone NOW!

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
check the spark plug wires to ensure they are all properly hooked up? If it's running "rich" but acting like it's misfiring then I'd look at electrical.

Which side (bank) had the lean o2 sensor?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All plug wires are on tight and there is only one O2 sensor on the passenger side. I NEED to fix this thing asap and I'd hate/can't afford to start throwing parts at it. He wants to sell it so I can't keep throwing money at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts