GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my 1997 K1500 is well overdue for a steering box. 368k miles. I’ve redone the whole front end so there’s obviously slop in the box still. What’s everyone using for a stock replacement? Tried a couple cheap remans just still doesn’t feel all that good. I’m only running 33s and a leveling kit. So nothing wild. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, my 1997 K1500 is well overdue for a steering box. 368k miles. I’ve redone the whole front end so there’s obviously slop in the box still. What’s everyone using for a stock replacement? Tried a couple cheap remans just still doesn’t feel all that good. I’m only running 33s and a leveling kit. So nothing wild. Thanks!
I'm in kind of the same boat, 96 k1500. Redid the entire front end this past month and am now getting more steering to the right. I thought at first I had put the shaft in a turn to far to the right, but that wasn't it. Then I started to think maybe I put the pitman arm 90 wrong, but it would be way more off than it is now. After two alignments I'm still getting more turn to the right, so the last shop I took it to thinks I could have damaged the box when I had it out. I'm also getting a bit of that GM steering slop. So I'm in need of either a rebuild or a new box. But, in the next year or so I'd like to do a SAS in the front and I'd rather put a box in that will accommodate that better than the stock, or something. This is my first truck and I'd like to keep it for a while.

Hopefully someone has some insight.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts