GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 Silverado centurion edition 2wd has a stock 350 in it with the 4l60e...my pops bought it brand new now hes passing it on to me

im looking to swap a 4.8 into it do a stage 2 cam with ls3 heads and lsx fast intake I want to get a 4l80e trans also and maybe 3.73 gears I just need to know where to start 1st...this will be my 1st swap

need to gather all info parts and websites before I pull the 350 out

thanx guys

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,659 Posts
want to make your life easier? go find a wrecked chevy 3/4 ton van, like an 04, pull the whole drivetrain with wiring harness and computer, they came from the factory with 4.8/80e (a large majority of them, I should say, not all)

·
Smiggles
3,493 Posts
ya don't bother with a 4.8 unless its stupid free or something. and do what tim said. been done enough that it can be pretty easy. just buy up some motor mounts and cut up the harness, and tweak the fuel system (if I remember right) and youre kind of set

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well everybody is doing the 6.0 swap and I have been seeing that they are having some problems with gear and drveshaft...the reason I wana do a 4.8 is because of the flat top piston. 1 guy has 100hp for every liter dyno sheet showed 487hp so I was looking for get around those numbers

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
ls3 heads wont work unless u have 4.00 bore

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
97 Silverado centurion edition 2wd has a stock 350 in it with the 4l60e...my pops bought it brand new now hes passing it on to me

im looking to swap a 4.8 into it do a stage 2 cam with ls3 heads and lsx fast intake I want to get a 4l80e trans also and maybe 3.73 gears I just need to know where to start 1st...this will be my 1st swap

need to gather all info parts and websites before I pull the 350 out

thanx guys
WTF is a stage 2 cam? This ain't Tokyo drift

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
243/799s milled .030

whats ur budget? Ill start there so we dont waste anyone time here.

u want close to 500hp but dont want a 6L because of "gear and driveshaft" issues? DA FUQ!?! ur gonna break a lot of stuff once u pass 350 mark. Trans, axle, driveshaft all need upgrading. Your fuel system is junk too, need more fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
what heads will work with the 4.8? or would it make more sense to do a 5.3 or the 6.0(not really trying to go with the 6.0) lol
Whats wrong with a 6.0? There's a reason its so desirable.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Probly waaaaaay cheaper to find a factory NBS v8 truck to mod. :imo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
243/799s milled .030

whats ur budget? Ill start there so we dont waste anyone time here.

u want close to 500hp but dont want a 6L because of "gear and driveshaft" issues? DA FUQ!?! ur gonna break a lot of stuff once u pass 350 mark. Trans, axle, driveshaft all need upgrading. Your fuel system is junk too, need more fuel.

im looking to spend about 5000

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Probly waaaaaay cheaper to find a factory NBS v8 truck to mod. :imo
well I already have newer truck he just gave me this and I just want to do something with it just like a weekend truck I love the body style I just want to swap the motor and trans to something more current

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,659 Posts
find a wrecked vehicle so you can pull the drivetrain and the full harness with computer, scrap the rest of the vehicle, put drivetrain and harness with computer in your truck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts