GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have plans for the RC 6" lift and 315/75/16 tires for my 1998 OBS but i will still have my stock 3.73 gears. what kind of performance difference should i expect if i don't swap for 4.56's? I don't do any major towing.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Another Tiftonian, nice. Which truck in that large town is yours? Welcome.

You will probably enjoy 4.56s with 35s. I'm running stock 3.42s with 35s for the last three years with no problems. I've got 4.56s waiting on my axles. I'm still undecided about tire size however.

·
Could be
192 Posts
They will work ok, but re-gearing is nice, and takes some strain off your truck.

There you are Daniel, you sombitch, how'd the surgery go?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea silver98Z71 i go to abac my truck is green with tan on the rocker panel. its stock height now with the RC T-bars cranked and 285s but i plan on having the lift done by the time i go back to school. i just don't want to lift it and spend all that money and wish i hadn't because of the stock gears making the performance suck (acceleration, towing, etc.) im on a tight budget. so if i were to re gear it to 4.56s what might be the price tag on that for someone else to do it? ive been told $1200.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Justin, surgery went well. Junk hurts now. I thought it hurt when I broke it, it's worse than than now. I guess it's because the stitches are getting tighter since the leg is swelling again. I'm ready for this week to be over because hopefully two or three weeks post-op will be like it was before----->bearable.

Embree, single cab? How long have you been going to ABAC? I plan on regearing my truck myself. If you get the parts I'll help you along the way and you could do it yourself and save you some coin. Stock gears arent terrible with large tires (to an extent). With 3.73s, you should be fine for a while. When I lifted my truck, I had it aligned the day before I moved to Tifton. Talk about cutting it close.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,895 Posts
if you gear it go with atleast 4.88s.... cuz you know you will want to go bigger... i'd suggest 4.88s with a detroit true trac.. great power and milage still with 35s and low enough for just incase you want to add a body lift and 38s

but in the meantime you will be fine with 3.73s and 35s... I'd suggest getting a black bear tune as soon as you throw the 35s on it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im going into my third year and no its extended cab. but yea the thought crossed my mind to try to do it myself but i wasn't sure how hard it would be

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Hmm, I dont believe I have noticed your truck. I'll see it soon enough.

It's not hard. It's just time consuming and tedious. If you can read, you can do it yourself. I'm pretty sure I know of a couple (I know of one for sure) running 10bolts you could borrow and run till you get your rear setup the way you want. The front we could drop and you could run without it.

·
Could be
192 Posts
Good to hear Daniel. Pain isn't always a bad thing, it reminds you your still alive right? HA! Good luck with the heal up process. You feel better soon enough.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Good to hear Daniel. Pain isn't always a bad thing, it reminds you your still alive right? HA! Good luck with the heal up process. You feel better soon enough.
Preciate it man. What dont kill me makes me stronger, right?

·
BORN CHEVY
1,324 Posts
My truck is my Daily Driver and I have 35's with 4.56. I went with 4.56 cause I tow about once or twice a month and due to me having 35's. My mileage isnt any better than when I had 3.42's although I havent towed anything since the gear change to check mileage while towing. But around town my mileage isnt any better. It has plenty of power though. I would do 4.11's if you dont tow or do any offroading but then again like most people say, going from 3.73's to 4.11's isnt really worth it. Depends if your worried bout gas mileage or power I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts