GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up my grandfathers old silverado. Reg cab 1999 long box 2wd v6 the other day. The truck needs help. But it's my deceased grandfathers truck so I want to fix it. Yesterday I found a 99 reg cab 4x4 with a 4.8 in it for 200$ the frame is broken. I want to take the drivetrain out of the 4x4 and put it in my truck. I'm going to keep the v6 because I sold the motor to my dad for his 76 c10. The 4x4 has a Manuel transfercase and only 120k miles. My truck has 230k on everything but the engine. Is it a doable swap. It's not going to be put on the road until after it's done I'm going to lift it 4" and I'd like to put a little bigger tires on it. I have the time to strip both to the frame if need be. I have to change my box anyways. Both are the same color so that's also a plus because my doors are beat to hell and the ones on the donor truck are nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
lot of fab work IMHO. Also, you will need to do some cutting and welding to rework the font end of the 2wd to add the torsion bars up front. A big plus is that it is manual 4x4. I'd not lift it and put bigger tires, at least not with that little 4.3.

Mr. 960

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Where is the 4x4 frame broken?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not doing the 4x4 conversion. I read into it and it's just not worth the hassle. I am however going to swap the rear end and engine into my truck. Any advice for pulling the 4.3 and dropping the 4.8 in? I know it's a lot of work but theoretically it's a plug and play operation. Remove all the 4.3 wiring and computer and drop the 4,8 stuff in. I'm also going to swap the entire interior into my truck not sure about the carpet though. The 4x4 selector lever hole would just be empty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts