GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around the beginning of the year, I decided that I needed to get rid of a car payment to free up a little bit of cash flow. So, I got rid of my '02 Cadillac SLS I was driving. I missed driving a truck everyday as well. The perfect vehicle was just down the street from me. My mom got another vehicle and wasn't driving her truck anymore, so we did a little bit of trading and I got myself a nice, new ride.

'94 GMC extended cab sportside SLE. I was there on the lot the day this truck was bought brand new in February of '94, so I know the truck's entire history. The truck is just over 220,000 miles right now, but it doesn't show it or run like it.

This is how it looked when I got it:

It'll take me a while to get it where I want it. I have a wife, an ex-wife, 2 kids, a house, 3 cars and all the payments and expenses that go with that, so it'll just be a little here and there, bit by bit. I will have to practice restraint with this truck too. I just want a clean driver. I don't want to go overboard like I did with my '91.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The first thing I had to do was to get rid of all the stick-on, bolt-on junk that was just cluttering up the outside of this thing. So, I got all that crap off and gave it a good wash and wax. While I was at it, I hacked off the big, ugly exhaust tips and cleaned up the headlights a little bit with some Megiar's PlastX.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was this crap under the truck that was called an "exhaust." It was really loud and annoying and just generally pissed me off.

I had forgotten about it, but several years ago I had bought this Magnaflow muffler for another vehicle I had at the time. I wasn't going to work out the way I wanted to, so I went another route and this one got put in a corner in a storage building. I remembered it and dug it out with a new use for it.

A trip to the exhaust shop, and this is what I ended up with.

Maybe sometime down the road I'll redo the front of the exhaust and make it into a true dual setup, but right now, I'm just trying to keep it simple and inexpensive. It sounds so much better and quieter than that stupid glasspack.

·
GroundeD 4 LifE
1,234 Posts
Looks good dude what are your plans for it

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good dude what are your plans for it
Nothing's set in stone. I have a lot of ideas. I've already been rethinking some of my ideas as I go along, so I'm sure more of that will happen.

Suspension: A drop is in the future for sure. I want to eventually end up with a 4/6, but once I get me a pair of shackles, I'll have the parts for a 3/4, so I'll probably start there. I'd like to add a rear swaybar and a bigger front bar, poly bushings throughout and maybe a 454SS steering gear.

Wheels: I have some chrome 454SS wheels that I may put on in the near future. I also have a set of 17" Weld Tomahawks that I used to run on my '91. A friend bought them from me and had them for a few years and then I bought them back from him. During his ownership, he somehow banged up 2 of them pretty good and they need a serious amount of elbow grease to get back into presentable shape. They're also a staggered set (wider in the rear), which I really don't want on a daily, nor do I want polished aluminum on a daily right now, but they would look good on it. A nice, clean set of low maintenance 17s would be nice.

Interior: I'd like to find a set of gray seats out of a '95-'98 extended cab to replace the mediocre stock seats in it now. I'm also considering changing it to a black/gray 2-tone color scheme inside.

Exterior: A painted smoothie front bumper would be good, maybe one with a billet insert that I could put some fog lights behind. I was originally thinking about a 30-bar billet insert, but now I'm not so sure. I love the look, but I don't know if I want to go that way. I've already replaced most of the lights (as you'll see later), but I'm still undecided on what I want to do with my sidemarkers. The molding will stay for now, since it's so old and the paint won't match underneath. I was thinking about a rollpan, but am really leaning more toward a work truck style bumper painted to match.

Engine/Drivetrain: It's good and reliable. More power wouldn't be a bad thing, but it's ok for now. It is just a driver, after all. I don't need a hot rod.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
5000K HIDs from HIDgate and hi-4 conversion. Better than stock, but with the worn out, yellow housings, they could be better. Since the HIDs don't have glare shields like the 9006 bulbs do, I had to aim them down quite a bit so I don't blind oncoing traffic.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New TYC Elegante headlights installed.

The passenger light looks crooked, and it is, but technically it fits like stock. The stock lights were both crooked. So, in actuality, the driver's side light is the one that's wrong. It fits too good. lol Whenever I figure out what I want to do with the sidemarkers and have the grille off again, I'll straighten out that light.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,252 Posts
CTS :thumbsup:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm undecided on what I want to do with the sidemarkers. I really like the way these look...

...but the 2 sellers on eBay that I've seen with these, only sell them with the headlights and parking lights. I really don't feel like spending money on a shitty, useless set of lights, just to get the sidemarkers I want. Stylin' Trucks and a few other places I've seen sell the normal diamond clears (set of 4) with 2 of these amber lenses for legal issues, but they don't sell an entire set of all 4 amber lenses.

I'm thinking of just going out and getting some Victory Red Duplicolor and painting them to match. I ran that way on my '91 before getting the Escalade clip and I really liked the look.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
its getting there, looks good so far and debadging and demolding would make it look even better.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts