GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Back in Black
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd start a thread about my journey to driving a truck again!

I was injured back in the 90's and am now a wheelchair user full time. I've been driving from my wheelchair, an accessible full size Ford van since 05. I was happy to be independent again and take road trips with my dog and visit friends, etc. But driving a 2wd van where I live, at times I wasn't able to go everywhere I wanted to.

About 5-6 years ago I noticed there was a company making a fully accessible wheelchair truck. I drove trucks before I was injured, and did a lot of off roading growing up. Being in a chair, I thought I'd be stuck driving a van forever. So seeing an accessible truck got me really excited, and gave me hope maybe some day I could be wheelin' again!

After saving for a while, in 2012 I was able to purchase a black one owner 08 GMC Ex Cab z71 SLE 4wd. It has a leveling kit, and I put some 18" XD Monster wheels with 33" Nitto Trail Graps.
IMG_1028_zpslq3fjrpo.jpg

After years of saving more, 4 weeks ago I finally shipped my truck to AT Conversions http://www.atconversions.com/ in Markle IN, from California for the conversion!

This is how it looked before shipping
IMG_0382_zps7crwpnf8.jpg

IMG_0378_zpsb9n8gdim.jpg

Loaded and ready for the trip!
IMG_0401_zps4lxrlx8p.jpg

Truck made it safely to IN
IMG_0403_zpsulcete3b.jpg

1st stage of conversion
IMG_0751_zpsjkgd0sdw.jpg

IMG_0752_zpsxi3vyhzb.jpg

As of today 5/21 my truck is half way done, and currently in the "structural" stage where they install a 3" body lift, and do most of the cutting/welding/fabrication mods.

This is what it'll look similar to when done
11234018_905510836176544_8868506635497526350_o_zpsup435gzg.jpg

Thanks for reading my build thread! I'll be updating as the work continues...so stay tuned!

Reactions: SierraScott

·
GMFS Member
749 Posts
Re: 1badZ71's Black 08 GMC Ex Cab z71 4wd All Terrain Conversions Accessible Truck Bu

Awesome man. I'm sure it will feel good to be back in a truck. I used to see a local guy around here that drove a wheelchair accessible 2500 hd

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: 1badZ71's Black 08 GMC Ex Cab z71 4wd All Terrain Conversions Accessible Truck Bu

That's awesome and like the above mentioned, I love to see these companies branching out and doing trucks and other specialty applications not just vans. Good stuff can't wait to see more updates haha

·
Registered
9,784 Posts

That's great that can still enjoy and be able to have the truck of your dreams be able to assist you with companies like where you sent yours. Good work man, keep on truckin'

·
Yuuuuuppppppp
1,055 Posts

Very cool man! I didn't expect it to be that much but it's a huge project. The dually on the front page looks good.

Gonna need 35s after that body lift :)

·
Resident Asshole
11,059 Posts

DNW 3" BL but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess. I remember a while back there was a shop that did something like this on an old nova or maybe a chevelle. It was part of the wounded warrior project.

·
Back in Black
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

DNW 3" BL but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess
They actually lower the floor on the drivers side, so raising the body still gives it some clearance:cool:
IMG_0380_zpssaxcm45v.jpg

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts

This is awesome man, i've wondered if there was a company out there that did this for a while.. dnw to be driving around in a van

·
Registered
80 Posts

That's awesome! That's good they made the entire door lambo up. Lambo doors that finally came to good use on a vehicle! Glad to see you're able to step away from the stabbin cabin and into a nice rolling VIP executive office! It's lookin really good man!

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,695 Posts

That's awesome! That's good they made the entire door lambo up. Lambo doors that finally came to good use on a vehicle! Glad to see you're able to step away from the stabbin cabin and into a nice rolling VIP executive office! It's lookin really good man!
That is a gull wing door not lambo

·
Registered
80 Posts

You're correct, but you get my point.

·
HABS SUCK!!
1,833 Posts

Best build on here, cant wait to see it completed

·
Back in Black
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Back in Black
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Getting close! About 10 days from completion:party28:
truck%20lift_zpsulsnmgu8.jpg

·
Registered
9,784 Posts

wow thats some serious conversion, looks great.

·
i like interco
3,269 Posts

[MENTION=63]Rob4x4[/MENTION] new truck time or nah lol.

OP truck looks good man. Wild they make the whole side lift up. Could they make a lift long enough for you to be able to lift the truck and still be accessible or it just is what it is?

·
Wheel On'
1,414 Posts

Ya I know right [MENTION=31378]duke[/MENTION]

Looks good man, this conversion is pretty slick as well. Cant wait to see the finished product.

·
Back in Black
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

[MENTION=63]Rob4x4[/MENTION] new truck time or nah lol.

OP truck looks good man. Wild they make the whole side lift up. Could they make a lift long enough for you to be able to lift the truck and still be accessible or it just is what it is?
I believe you can actually have up to a 8" lift!
Here's a pic of a lifted truck with a passenger side conversion

1013627_851154064945555_1002460966362079548_n_zpsmv38juut.jpg

1 - 20 of 78 Posts