GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a leveling kit/lift kit for my 2005 Silverado. Skyjacker has one that comes with new shocks but I just replaced mine with sensa trac from Monroe. Is there a company that sells a lift kit w/out shocks? Will My shocks work with a Lift kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,976 Posts
Jack the truck and and see if the ucas touch the droop stops. If they do they are long enough just buy keys. If not you need longer shocks and just buy a kit

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Upper Control Arms....UCAs. Is your truck 2 or 4wd?

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
"Lift keys" will lift ur truck, all over ebay

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
if u want more lift out back, then 3 or 4" blocks...yeah.

u can get 2" of lift from keys but ride will suffer and angles on 4wd components will be bad.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if u want more lift out back, then 3 or 4" blocks...yeah.

u can get 2" of lift from keys but ride will suffer and angles on 4wd components will be bad.

Will the ride suffer even if I get the recommended shocks that come with the kits? Also which other route should I go?

·
SEMPER FI
16 Posts
I bought the RC level for my 05... Comes with new keys, 3" blocks, and shocks. Kit I think is like $200

IMG_20140119_130604_zps782b0afe.jpg

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have Ready Lift keys in the front of my 06. Came with shock extenders. Just a little bracket that fits on the bottom of the shock. I also put a 3" block in the rear to replace the stock 2". Didn't do anything with the rear shocks. Rides great IMO. You can notice that there is less drop out travel which makes it a bit rougher over certain bumps.

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
the 2" of lift your after, can be done by cranking up your stock torsion keys, or installing aftermarket torsion keys. (Rough Country are popular & cheap). This just going to level out the truck. If you want to keep rake (when the rear of the truck sits higher than the front, factory has about 1.5-2" of rake) you would need to install a 3-4" block on the rear. Normally a truck with a suspension in good shape, with levelling keys, cranked decently, with a 3" block in the rear sits about dead even.

If you crank the torsion keys, or installed new levelling keys, your ride will be firmer, noticeably, it isn't horrible (unless you crank way to high). And the shocks you have now, if they are for stock height, will be too short. ride will suffer, either get longer shocks, for the levelling kit, or get shock extenders.

Rough Country makes about the best bang for your buck levelling ("2" lift") kit for all 99-07 GM pickups. for $200 comes with levelling keys, 4 new shocks (extended length) and a 3" block. http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-lift-kit-283n2.html

your best option for getting some height, but retaining a decent ride, would be install levelling kit (keys & longer shocks) only add about 1.5" of crank over stock, and leave stock 2" block in the rear (crank until truck sits level) and a Zone 1.5" body lift http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-products-1.5in-body-lift-chevy-gmc-pickup/c9153

This will keep your ride decent, and net your about 3-3.5" of lift up front, and 1.5" rear. You could fit a nice tire (33's or so) without much trimming, if any depending on rim

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have Ready Lift keys in the front of my 06. Came with shock extenders. Just a little bracket that fits on the bottom of the shock. I also put a 3" block in the rear to replace the stock 2". Didn't do anything with the rear shocks. Rides great IMO. You can notice that there is less drop out travel which makes it a bit rougher over certain bumps.

What brand kit?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like the rough country lift is the best bang for the buck

·
SEMPER FI
16 Posts
I love my kit, I mostly am doing highway driving (Base to home) and I dont think it rides bad at all. Had it off road once and it handled great!

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Looks like the rough country lift is the best bang for the buck

yes. And the shocks are pretty decent.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts