GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is better 2 link or 4 link? I was going to build a two link the way IFCustoms bulids theres, then somebody told me not to do a two link cause of some reason and said just do a 4 link. And I'm not wanting to do side to side, I dont think I'm still undesided on that subject. But I can build the 2 link for free pretty much all I wil have to buy is ubolts. But I'm looking for the smoothest ride, dependable, low cost. Or what about a parallel 4 link is that anygood? Oh and I have a 89 chevy 1500 reg. cab. But I plan on building it my self cause I dont have the money to buy one from somewhere and I'm a good welder I have to tools to cut, bend whatever I need to do to make one. I'm just a highschool student with no money and tired of leaf springs. If anybody could help me that would be sweet. Thanks

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Before I start I'll say 2-links do work, I know of alot of them that are daily driven with no problem after several years.

2-links have a flawed design. Thier atatching points are solidly mounted which means there is no articulation of the rear suspension. This does eliminate body roll, but causes alot of stress on the components used. Most people use 2-links because they're simple to build. The arguement about them getting more lift and riding better than a 4-link isn't totally true. Most of this comes from when people were mounting thier bags over the axle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so would a parallel 4 link be better to use? cause in stead of it being soildly mounted. cause its allowed it move at the axle and mounting point? I dont know if I'm making any sense at all

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
A parallel 4-link is fine just rember to use a panhardbar to keep the axle centerd.

I'm not saying you have to buy from them but do some reading on
www.ridetech.com

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Also, their's a group purchase for kp components bolt on 4 link for $400 going on right now. Superior ride quality is achieved with a parallel 4 link or triangulated 4 link. The parallel 4 link is easier to install than the triangulated

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I have another question, is there anyway I can build a parallel 4 link for my truck? and I can build a pan hard bar. but if anybody might have the plans to build one like length so on and so on? I have a 89 chevy 1500 reg. cab shortwide.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I figured out how to build it but i need to know lenght and its to dark out to try to figure it out right now but when I goto messure where do I need to messure from where to where? I was going to build one like suicidedoors sells. and I was told the longer it is the better the pinion angle is this right? And also what do I use for bushing what do I need to get or do I just use a heim joint?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts