GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone give me advice, I've about run out of ideas.
1993 chevy 1500 5.7 V8

First: My A/C system I just converted from R12 to R134a. Everything is charged and works fine, HOWEVER, randomly my blower decides not to come on and I get a result of no cool air blowing in the cab. The problem is intermittent, sometimes the air will blow at any speed, other times, the fan will not come on at all. It is completely random, I am noticing no trends whatsoever. I took my glove compartment out, and I can hear the relay contacts engage when I push the fan controls, but no fan blowing. I have tested the ground from the fan to the chassis, and I have continuity. Someone please give me advice.

Second: I have a nasty growl coming from the engine bay ONLY when the a/c compressor is engaged and I am idling or slowing to a stop. It does not do it when I am applying gas and moving at constant speed/increasing speed. It sounds like it is coming from directly beneath the alternator and power steering pump. I replaced the power steering pump thinking this was the issue, as well as replacing the alternator which was warrantied, and no luck. Weird thing, when I put pressure on the back of the alternator ( try to pull it forward) the rattling stops. Its almost as if I have something loose and rattling, but its a LOUD rattle. The pulley connected to the power steering pump has a slight bit of front to back play in it, but is approx 1/8". Is this normal for this vehicle or is the "remanufactured" ps pump I installed faulty?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
:beatdeadhorse5:

·
00Silverado
2,104 Posts
First one just sounds like the blower motor is bad. I would try replacing it and see what happens. The second one could be the AC compressor clutch going bad since it only does it with the AC on. The movement in the ps pump might be excessive if you can move it that far. Did you press the pulley on or was it already on with the pump?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts