GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got around to doing the 2 step and when I use the orange pad it throws debris from the pad all over the place. The white pad doesn't do it. Am I doing something wrong? I put three spots of polish just like the guy does on YouTube and I'm using the exact same technique. I'm using the da polisher from hf with y'all's 6in backing plate.

·
Vendor
892 Posts
Orange Foam Pad and Paint Correcting Polish?

Brand new pad, or used?

Did you prime the pad with a shot of Detail Spray?

How long did you work it before it started the cast off?

Somethings not quite right, let's get it figured out!

·
Fender Measurements?
21,152 Posts
sounds like the pad might be a little clogged. Take a pic of the pad as it sits when it was dusting, will help better.

I usually got some dust from PCP + Orange pad but usually when it needed to be cleaned or i didnt clean it enough.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brand new everything first time polishing and it started from the get go with and without detail spray.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Polish is doing it's job it looks awesome when I wipe it away but this happens as I polish

·
Vendor
892 Posts
Definitely looks like dust, but it's strange that it happened right off the bat.

Dusting can occurs once the pad gets clogged with polish and it begins to dry out. Usually after a panel or two, a spray of Detail Spray instead of adding more polish each time will keep dusting down. This will add some liquid back to the dried solids that are already in the pad, keeping it from clogging with polish and creating the dusting you're seeing.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I'm just using mequiars quick detailer is that ok? Or do I need actual detail spray. Im a noob when it comes to this I usually just wash

9,795 Posts
I have had problems with PCP and orange pad dusting quite a few times. What is the temp outside? Mine would always seem to be worse if it was hot outside or humid.

·
Vendor
892 Posts
Yes, that' fine. It won't burst into flames if you use Megs QD. ;)

Try using less polish and work in smaller sections. That will keep you from overworking the polish to the point that it dusts.

Are you familiar with knowing when the polish "flashes?"

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Are you priming the pad and spreading it around at a low speed prior to polishing? How big of sections are you doing? Doing 2x2 sections seems to be more effective versus entire panels.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had problems with PCP and orange pad dusting quite a few times. What is the temp outside? Mine would always seem to be worse if it was hot outside or humid.
It's 88 but very humid over here in south Texas

Yes, that' fine. It won't burst into flames if you use Megs QD. ;)

Try using less polish and work in smaller sections. That will keep you from overworking the polish to the point that it dusts.

Are you familiar with knowing when the polish "flashes?"

So i re washed the side of the truck I'm doing right now becuz the pad is slightly dirty and used less polish and when it started to dust I would stop and just add detail spray. It's doing it a lot less but it's still doing it. I'm not using it very long at all until it starts to dust. Prob after 10 seconds of polishing it starts to dust and I'm doing it exactly like the video. And no sir I'm not familiar with polish flashes I'm completely new to this

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,739 Posts
Try cleaning your pad on the fly after every (2' x 2') section to remove spent product and the abraded paint residue.

Set your speed on high > use a terrycloth towel wrapped around your hand > press hard on the pads surface to remove spent product > proceed to next section.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^ ok I'll try that. I'm out here doing this and of course it starts the sprinkle...damn Texas weather I swear but the product Adams sells is awesome. This is my very first polishing and this is the passenger door on 15 yr old paint. Hopefully I can figure out this dusting problem. Maybe I'm just doing to much at one time and it's drying the pad out. I'm just gunna have to play with it some more I think.

·
A Proud Texan
4,156 Posts
It's hot, believe me polishing in Texas isn't fun, I think your working the polish too much which is causing the dusting. The polish is going to dry out fast that's a given, but yes do the method red instructed, should help a lot

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright thanks fellas Ill let y'all know if that works for me

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you priming the pad and spreading it around at a low speed prior to polishing? How big of sections are you doing? Doing 2x2 sections seems to be more effective versus entire panels.

My bad steve just saw this post and yea I'm starting a speed one to spread the polish then bump it up to 5 or 6. And I started on the front fender and did 2x2 sections and it would still do it. It doesn't take long to start dusting even if I stop in the middle and just had detail spray. I'm not sure what's going on but I'm gunna try some more tomorrow if I have time and the weather is nice but it's been horrible weather the past week here.

·
Vendor
892 Posts
Results are looking killer, for sure!

The heat and humidity definitely work against you in nearly all aspects of detailing, especially polishing. Polishes/pads dry out faster, which causes a host of issues like you're seeing.

In the heat and humidity, working in even smaller sections is the quickest way to remedy these. Your flash point will come quicker, so you won't be able to work the polish as long before it starts give you fits.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts