GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck runs like a champ, I just properly gapped and changed the plugs, but it takes a few cranks to get it to start. If it only sits a few minutes it fires right back up, but 15 or more minutes and I have to crank it 3 times. Sensors? do I need new spark plug wires? truck has 170K and I'm unsure of the history of it. It seems to be getting progressively worse.
Any ideas would be appreciated,
Pat

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2000 5.3L hard starting

Seems I have to crank it over 2-3 times to get it to start, not as bad in the morning, but after driving it for awhile if you shut it off for more than 10-15 minutes it's tough to crank again.
I just put new plugs in, properly gapped. Except for the hard starting the thing runs excellent.
Pat

·
Registered
12 Posts
It could be your fuel pressure regulator. Good place to start anyways. I had the same sort of issues with mine before swapping out the regulator, it would start up easy when cold but then start hard after it was warm and sat for 15 minutes or more. Pull the vacuum line off it and if fuel runs out you know its bad.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Re: 2000 5.3L hard starting

check your fuel system?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I agree, FPR. Change it and off you go. Let the fuel pump prime the system before you crank the piss out of it...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the symptoms sure point to the regulator, but I have no fuel in the vacuum line, I checked several times after driving it for at least 10 minutes. Could it still be bad with no visible fuel in the vacuum line?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I changed it, it had been replaced already as near as I can tell, and it did not fix the problem. I guess the next though is get a fuel pressure gauge and see if its the fuel pump, and change the filter at the same time.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Well next try filter then pump.

Seeing as how the truck is ten years old, I'd be proactive and replace the pump anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I changed the FPR, and filter. Still starts hard, and getting worse. Next will be the pump. How much fuel pressure should I have? I'm also thinking about running some seafoam through it, and my boat motor too now that I mention it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts