GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck recently would not start and I noticed that with the key In the Off position the fuel gauge needle rest at the fuel level postion, however once I crank the engine the needle immediately jumps and pegs to about 5 O'clock.
Over the last few months when I turn the key the dummy lights in the gauge cluster would not come ON and the truck would not start, after a few attempts the lights would come ON and the truck would fire right up and run fine.
It has died in the middle of driving, but once I come to a stop and turn it over it would start right back up and run for days before it would happen again.
I just installed a new fuel pump, ignition switch, and ignition cylinder lock however the truck will not start and the needle still jumps to the 5 O'clock position. Hoping somebody here has dealt with something like this before and can offer a little advice..

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Might be a stupid guess but check your frame and firewall grounds. Ground straps might look fine but they corrode easily and deny connection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My truck recently would not start and I noticed that with the key In the Off position the fuel gauge needle rest at the fuel level postion, however once I crank the engine the needle immediately jumps and pegs to about 5 O'clock.
Over the last few months when I turn the key the dummy lights in the gauge cluster would not come ON and the truck would not start, after a few attempts the lights would come ON and the truck would fire right up and run fine.
It has died in the middle of driving, but once I come to a stop and turn it over it would start right back up and run for days before it would happen again.
I just installed a new fuel pump, ignition switch, and ignition cylinder lock however the truck will not start and the needle still jumps to the 5 O'clock position. Hoping somebody here has dealt with something like this before and can offer a little advice..

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same thing happened to me ...ended up being crank sensor going bad ...even showed up on a hand scanner at autozone which is pretty handy lol..but replaced that and no more problems....good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts