GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Central Florida Chapter
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm either gonna do a pro comp 6" or a 5" knuckle lift... Was wondering if anyone on these boards have done either... I want to do the knuckle lift because it is easier and all, just don't know if i'll like the outcome of it...

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Pro-Comp has both the 6" bracket & 6" knuckle lift. Most knuckle lifts (of same height) are almost carbon copies, only differences come in metal quality, weld, powder coat finish, etc... I just finished a 6" RCX on my 2000, and went together easily. Now that I've done it, I could honestly say it could be done in a day or less with just jack stands and 1 set of helping hands.

Knuckle lifts work out better, hold alignment better, and a new knuckle is always nice.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
by the time you strip everything off your old knuckle and put it on the new one its not easier compared to a full drop lift
with the full drop kits you remove both control arms/knuckle/brakes/cv shaft all as one assembly

the full drop lift is nice if you want to go past 6inchs without having shitty angles with your cv shafts,not increase your track width and you can run stock rims

but if you have the early auto track tcase where the front drive shaft spins all the time you need a new front drive shaft and it doesn't hold the alignment very good

·
Central Florida Chapter
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the knuckle lift for a 99-07 is only rated as a 5".., i have a 00, and i believe it does not spin all the time. Currently it's cranked on 2856518 trail grapplers. love the way it looks, but ya know, bigger is always better lol

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
the knuckle lift for a 99-07 is only rated as a 5".., i have a 00, and i believe it does not spin all the time. Currently it's cranked on 2856518 trail grapplers. love the way it looks, but ya know, bigger is always better lol
if you have a 2000, it spins all the time.

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
by the time you strip everything off your old knuckle and put it on the new one its not easier compared to a full drop lift
with the full drop kits you remove both control arms/knuckle/brakes/cv shaft all as one assembly

the full drop lift is nice if you want to go past 6inchs without having shitty angles with your cv shafts,not increase your track width and you can run stock rims

but if you have the early auto track tcase where the front drive shaft spins all the time you need a new front drive shaft and it doesn't hold the alignment very good
I replaced my CV axles & Hub assy's. So it took very little time to re-assemble.

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
5" of lift, but you can crank it up another 2-3" and similar angles to levelled. Where as a 6" full drop, you can almost achieve 9" with levelled angles

·
Central Florida Chapter
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think im gonna do the 5" I don't need 9", just looking for something to get me by before i SAS. just sucks for a 00 because of the frame.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

·
Central Florida Chapter
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Because the cost of SAS on this truck will be through the roof with coilovers. Plus I may just like the way it looks/sits/rides with the lift kit on it. ya never know. I SAS'd my last truck and kinda regret it because of how shitty it rode, even with 52" springs and bilsteins.

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
get the full drop IMO
Curious as to why you are so partial to Bracket lifts? I've heard often that they don't hold alignments as good as knuckle lifts. And they are more to install, parts wise.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Curious as to why you are so partial to Bracket lifts? I've heard often that they don't hold alignments as good as knuckle lifts. And they are more to install, parts wise.
All depends on the desired setup. On my old truck, no way i was running the 37s on a knuckle kit without excessive angles. The superlift doesnt hold an alignment worth a damn bc of the multipiece subframe but the pro comp is a one piece iirc so holds better

·
Central Florida Chapter
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just wanna run 35's... so

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
I just wanna run 35's... so
All depends on the wheel man... you can crank and slap some 35's on there tomorrow if you wanted

·
Central Florida Chapter
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I mean I have 18x9 monsters now that have a back spacing of what seems to be 6" lol, with 2" wheel spacers it probably hasthe back spacing of a 4.5/

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
I mean I have 18x9 monsters now that have a back spacing of what seems to be 6" lol, with 2" wheel spacers it probably hasthe back spacing of a 4.5/
Many people stuff x9's and 35's on a cranked level. Add a 1.5" BL if need be, if you want to save $800

1 - 20 of 21 Posts