GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
PSE Archery Pro
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2001 2500HD with 33,500 miles on it...guy lived a mile from work and put nothing on it for miles...truck is pretty, in great shape, and runs like a BOSS.

It had a fresh oil change right before I bought it, with the sticker in the window showing it not due till 36k...I have put about 1500 miles on it since I got it last month..still 1k till the next change..

Lat week the "Check Oil" light cam on and sure enough, it was low..i added a quart and a half, light went off, but it smoked a bit at first and smelled of burning oil..now it will still occasionaly smell, but not smoke like it did..I DID spill some onto the exhaust manifold..so I expected some odor..

The other day I drove up into the woods to turkey hunt and again, smelled oil burning, so i popped the hood. I noticied a small amount of smoke coming up from the area of the oil filler neck/valve cover area..it seems that my oil level is SLIGHTLY lower than it was..could the gasket be worn out allowing oil out? Anyone know the part number for a new neck? I also plan to replace the PCV with the updated, smaller hole version.(not sure if it had been done or not)

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
pull the valve covers off and look at the gaskets. also clean the valve cover really good
if the gaskets look bad and are flat, replace them and go from there

1 - 3 of 3 Posts