GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Serious!
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a 2001 tahoe for stupid cheap because a front end noise. Replaced both hubs they were bad... well falling apart is a better description.
How ever after replacing those I still have a hum to not as bad though. It sounds like its coming from the diff area now.

So I jumped on craigslist an got a diff for 100 bucks :) (yards are 250-400) but the needle bearing for the passenger side shaft support is one rough sounding bearing. The guy said his glove box said the rpo code was GT4 on it with same as mine. But I want to double check before I buy a rebuild kit for my replacement one. Figure might as well while its out. So anyone have easy to tell what ratio? Its an open diff, found that out after I un screwed the inspection cover.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
correct. B/c it is an open diff you will spin it 10 times and the drive shaft, or the output should spin about 18.6 times. Multiply by two will give you 372. divide by 10 that will give you 3.72 meaning a 3.73:1.

·
Serious!
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
correct. B/c it is an open diff you will spin it 10 times and the drive shaft, or the output should spin about 18.6 times. Multiply by two will give you 372. divide by 10 that will give you 3.72 meaning a 3.73:1.
Thanks sir. I will give this a try this weekend.

you by chance know any good bearing rebuild kits for these?

·
Serious!
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well small problem. Axle has the electric locking acuator on it. How ever my donar axle has the pig tail on. Anyone have the pin outs of it so I can energize it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
i have a question this might be dumb but here goes...why did you spend $100 on a complete diff that probably needs a kit put in too..well if im gonna go through the trouble of replacing my front diff i would put a new kit for sure regardless what someone on craigslist told me....is there something wrong with the orginal diff housing???..i mean you said your gonna get a kit for it anyway right...might take a little longer from start to finish but you will be better off that way you dont have to do this again when your craigslist special gives out on you..lol oh also im not trying to a dick im just trying to keep you from trying to go the cheap route and then it actually costing you more later...not to mention double the work...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts