GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a Whiplash 14" extreme lift for my truck? Any suggestions or complaints? Actually any info on these guys would be great.

·
2,451 Posts
well, there have plenty of storys of praise,that i have heard, for the whiplash kits so i would say go with it or go wil a cognito and bodylift.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not much into thrashing this truck. I'm looking to make it big and beautiful. I've been in the collision and custom repair and design for about 11 years so going all out is no problem.

·
2,451 Posts
if you are going all out, count the ifs out, go for a strait axle with leafsprings . if you want to go really extreme go for a strait axle with a four link and bags, coils, coilovers or nitrogen shocks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't want to elminate the ifs. I had a straight axle truck-too rough and I dont want to cut the floor pan all to hell and tear out my center console with the beer holder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just looking for info, I've had pro comp lifts, trailmaster, and skyjacker, I'm looking to go big, clean, and keep the ifs.

·
2,451 Posts
if you go with a fourlink setup with coilovers or nitrogen shocks it will ride like a dream, or even deaver leaf springs.

All i have to say about ifs is upgrade your tierods when you go really big and stay away form truckinsuspension lifts

·
Registered
175 Posts
carchopper said:
I'm just looking for info, I've had pro comp lifts, trailmaster, and skyjacker, I'm looking to go big, clean, and keep the ifs.
I also would recommend checking out CST or Bulletproof.

BTW, What size tire do you want to run?

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
I would go with CST first then cognito. IMO no one makes a better IFS lift than CST. I have your same truck but a 2001 and if i didnt buy my truck with RCD 6" already on it (which is a very good lift) i would have probably gona CST. You get what you pay for.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Bulletproof is a very godo kit but you pay an arm and a leg for it, even moreso than with CST. The CST kit is my very very nice, I would definatly put it near the top of my list. The cognito once again is very nice, you reallt cant go wrong with them or CST. Now onto whiplash. Whiplash has avery bad reputation, NOT for unsafe or weak kits but for bad manufactoring tolerances. Their older kits (way back when) were pretty good kits. Then they started to have a foreign company contract out their work. Bad idea. The kit quality went way down. It was not uncommon to have to cut and weld on a kit to make it fit the truck it is being installed on. Now they are back to making all lifts in house and suposidly have gotton better in quality and customer service. Would I buy a whiplash? No, they still arnt as good of a design as Cognito or CST, but they are better than they were a yer or 2 ago. Now lets talk full throttle. Full throttle probably sells more big lifts than any otehr company. They are a well built kit as well. Their customer service is a hit and miss deal. If you get to talk to one of the owners you are in luck, if you get to talk to one of the punk kids they employ then you are screwed. They arnt as nice of a design as the CST or Cognito though but are cheaper and you get to pick between a 9.5" or 12" lift. The cognito is a 10" and CST a 9". Another option is Twisted suspension. It is ALMOST identicle to the cognito design (owner used to be cognitos owners partner) but is a 12" kit. I would only pick them is that extra 2" is really that important to you because the kit is missing a few nice aspects of the cognito. Finally we move onto 3rd coast suspension. It is essentially a fancy full throttle kit marketed by BNC offroad in Houston, Texas. It comes in a 9.5 and 12" kit as well and is very very similar (in fact made by) Full throttle. Hope this helps you look at what the playing field has to offer.

·
6,656 Posts
O yeah you can look at the lift specs and apps sheet in the tech area, that may help some also.

·
6,656 Posts
heh exactly what I said. Allthough bulletproof is even more than CST. Cognito is a bit more than FT but not much. If I had to do it myself (and was limited to IFS) I would do a Cognito, best bang for your buck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts