GMC Truck Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Got the intake on and and injectors plugged in. Wow Batman those ev6 adapters are long and make it look messy under there. Good thing I don’t care much. My 02 map sensor plug was Not a plug and play with tbss one.
So I put the stock 02 map in the place of the new one and rtv’d It in. Gonna make a bracket or something to hold it in.

I had to bend the fuel rail up a slight bit to fit the c5 regulator. Even still the fuel lines are at a sharp bend coming from trans tunnel up into the reg.

When I bought this intake it had a 1/2” port open right in the middle of it. Well I still needed a way to pipe the PCV back in so I grabbed a 5/16” stainless hose barb and epoxied it Into place. Now from the back of the driver valve cover I go into that barb, and from pass valve cover to TB.

The TB is sticking out further than the old one and I won’t be able to get an air intake tube on it with cutting the shroud, so gonna go ahead and do the efans too.

the two bolts that hold the the egr pipe flange on the exhaust broke off in the flange, so I drilled it. Weird angle over the fender behind the water pump, I made an uh oh and drilled into the manifold. Lucky I have a bunch of old truck manis hanging around. So have to swap that today too.

I always check my intake ports really really thourough before I put the intake back on. Even if your sure nothing fell, always check. I found a rock layin on top of the intake valve. After I had already vacuumed.
upload_2019-3-5_5-41-43.jpeg

upload_2019-3-5_5-41-43.jpeg
C06E803D-1B70-4F18-A90C-21A8C94FF166.jpeg
D9F21AD0-D1CA-421F-8314-3B7C4D9D3537.jpeg
265CC2AE-681F-4584-8A2D-69B92E74F5F5.jpeg
2963F7FE-9A99-4C93-AB95-638A595E76EA.jpeg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great project you scooped up. My 01 2500HD CC LB really woke up with a tune, and I didn't do the other mods you mentioned. Always liked it the best with the H2 wheels too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It’s been quite awhile since I’ve updated this, the truck has came a good ways since a year ago.

I hung a 78/75 on the 6.0, Walboro 400 pump and decapped injectors. Homemade hotside minus the cheap amazon log manifold. With the stock cam and pac1218s it made right at 500whp in 2nd gear(big driveshaft probs), 12ish lbs. I tried to get by with a cheap, no name wastegate and paid the price. Truck had horrible creep issues and i scattered the 6.0 down the interstate. Turned two rods into glitter, popped three pistons and seized the cam in the block.

I didn’t feel like searching for a 6.0 for a decent price so I picked up an l59 gen4 5.3 complete for $500 bucks. Bought an Elgin 1840p and swapped the pac1218s over to the new motor. I didn’t want to blow another one up due to stubbornness so I bought a 40mm turbosmart gate and an innovate boost controller/wideband. I pulled the pan off to gap the rings and found #6 rod bearing was spun, trashed the crank. Instead of buying a crank and more gen4 rods I just went back and bought another $400 lm7 with 200k miles. Stripped it down to the shortblock and put new bearings and rings gapped to .028 Top—.030 bottom. Sent the block to the shop for a hot tank and hone. Once I got it back I threw it all together and Into the truck. On first fire I had 0 oil pressure. Weird. I chased my tail on that for a couple days, really procrastinating on yanking the motor back out to Double check the barbell and the little freeze plug by the pump. From what I’ve read, 0 oil pressure is usually a forgotten part or plug. I finally decided to just roll the diff down and out of the way, pull the pan and check the pump/pickup tube.
The oring looked perfect, but I swapped it and the pump anyway. Cleaned the screen on the pickup and put a melling 10295 standard volume pump in. Got it all back together and fired, 45 psi at idle. Good deal.

So I finish up hanging the turbo and exhaust, double check fluids and crank it to burp the coolant. I deleted the reservoir tank to make room for the spinny boi, and added a Durango in line filler neck on the top hose. I always fill the top radiator hose til full. Stick a no spill funnel into the fill port and keep adding til full with the heat on and squeezing the hoses. No matter what I do it’s pushing coolant into my expansion tank once at op temp. If I leave the cap off it will blow a continuous cloud of steam out. Upon further checking, there is coolant running down the back of the motor, onto the bellhousing and dripping down. I used brand new ls9 gaskets and torqued then on my engine stand, also this isn’t my first build so I don’t know for 100% if it’s install error or if the head is warped, but I’ll be pulling them back off and checked, with some genuine 3.780 bore gaskets. Was so close to burnouts again lol.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts