GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has many posts but, I have followed all issues and still no luck fixing problem.
Background: 2002 GMC Sierra 1500 4.8L
New: Spark Plugs and wires, Crankshaft Position Sensor, Camshaft Position Sensor, Oil Sending unit, fuel filter, IAC, Fuel Pressure Regulator, new vacuum line from FPR to Intake.
Installed in-line check valve. Fuel pump replaced 3 years ago.
I get 50 PSI from schrader valve when I turn on ignition.
Truck will sometimes start on first try but always starts on second try.
Truck runs fine no issues.
There are no codes showing up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this topic has many posts but, I have followed all issues and still no luck fixing problem.
Background: 2002 GMC Sierra 1500 4.8L
New: Spark Plugs and wires, Crankshaft Position Sensor, Camshaft Position Sensor, Oil Sending unit, fuel filter, IAC, Fuel Pressure Regulator, new vacuum line from FPR to Intake.
Installed in-line check valve. Fuel pump replaced 3 years ago.
I get 50 PSI from schrader valve when I turn on ignition.
Truck will sometimes start on first try but always starts on second try.
Truck runs fine no issues.
There are no codes showing up.
Sending unit in the pump. Turn the key to accessory, wait for the pump to come on and then try. The sending unit isn’t keeping the pressure in the lines.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yep, What "ThatdamnAWDtahoe" said.

I made and ran a band-aid fix for mine for a while. If your handy with electronics you could build a fuel pump primer time extender. What it does is it primes the fuel pump a couple of seconds longer than the hard coded OEM prime time to build sufficient pressure to help it start without cycling the key. You would have to get used to turning the key on and waiting a little longer before cranking, but it would keep you from cycling the key on/off to double prime the pump.

Ran this setup for about a year and a half until I got motivated enough to change the pump/sending unit.

HTH.

Brian

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Yep, What "ThatdamnAWDtahoe" said.

I made and ran a band-aid fix for mine for a while. If your handy with electronics you could build a fuel pump primer time extender. What it does is it primes the fuel pump a couple of seconds longer than the hard coded OEM prime time to build sufficient pressure to help it start without cycling the key. You would have to get used to turning the key on and waiting a little longer before cranking, but it would keep you from cycling the key on/off to double prime the pump.

Ran this setup for about a year and a half until I got motivated enough to change the pump/sending unit.

HTH.

Brian
Please never listen to this guy.

It’s not hard coded, no one touches there prime or cranking fuel tables. Great way to blow it up a stock motor.

·
Registered
44 Posts

It’s not hard coded, no one touches there prime or cranking fuel tables. Great way to blow it up a stock motor.

BoltspeedMen, are you for real? Adding a couple of seconds to the fuel pump prime time will not blow up a motor. SMH. What are you new or something? That's like saying if you cycle the key a couple of times before staring the truck it will blow the motor. I'm sure the fuel pump prime time is hardcoded in the ECM file but HP Tuners does not have that available. If you happen to have the address in the .bin for this please share, I'm sure some people could benefit from this. Plus, I didn't say anything about modifying the cranking fuel tables, that could cause problems, seriously doubt it would "blow up a stock motor" though. Please read and understand before you reply talking out your a$$.

Oh, and by the way it's "their" not "there" in your error filled reply reply.

Brian

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Alright. Let’s ignore everything I said, and get on your “band-aid”. What is the point? Did you fix anything thing when you can just turn the key and re prime?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts