GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GMFS Uber-Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right guys, I know a few of you have done this and a few of you have been thinking of doing it. Well...I did it. I bought a 2003 Chevy Silverado center console off eBay and put it in my 2002. I figured I would do a write up to show anyone who's thinking about trying it that it's not really that hard.

As I said, I started off with a 2002 Chevy Silverado...happens to be a 2500HD Crew Cab, but the install should be the same no matter the class or size of your truck.
Here it is:

I had the regular old 40/20/40 split "bench" in front and wasn't really satisfied. I wanted some more storage and places to put stuff. It also helps to hide the wiring for some of my stereo accessories.

Well, anyway...I started by pulling off the lower dash piece. Once removed it looks like this:

The lower dash and glove box are one piece, including the cigarette lighters and ashtray. If you want, I'm sure you could just modify the piece to fit with a console, but I wanted the easier/more expensive way out. The console I got happened to come with the glove box piece so it wasn't much of a problem, but you could probably get the same piece off eBay or from your local dealer.
The piece is held on with 7mm bolts and spring clips, about a dozen bolts. It's a real pain to get all the spring clips out. A few of mine were pulled off in the process. I also ended up pulling out the "knee plate" that's underneath the steering wheel; made it easer to get the other lower dash piece off.
This is what the dash looks like with all three pieces removed:

^ Driver's Side ^

^ Center ^

^ Passenger Side ^

Once everything is pulled, you can either finish the dash or pull the seats. I didn't have my sockets to pull the seats so I finished the dash.
Inside the glove box, there is a sticker with your VIN code and I think they're the RPO codes for your truck. I wanted to keep all my info with the truck instead of having random codes from a truck that wouldn't match should I have to take this to the dealer or sell it down the road. I drilled out the two rivets that hold the glove box to the lower dash piece and just used the 7mm bolts that hold the dash trim to the metal part of the dash to keep it on. If you wanted, you could rivet the glove box back on, but I don't have a rivet gun and I really didn't care.

Now, after a week driving around without part of my dash, i finally got around to pulling the seats out. Each seat has four bolts. The two front bolts can be taken out with a 15mm socket, they're Torx but any snug socket should work. These are the two front bolts, one is easy to access and the other is down inside the seat track.

One of the rear bolts is hidden under a little plastic cover; it is the bolt closest to the transmission tunnel. Just pull up on the cap and it will come right out. Don't forget to unplug the electrical connections if you have power seats; it's pretty hard to get the seat out when it's still hooked up.
Once you've got a seat out, your truck should look like this:

Keep in mind, not all trucks are as dirty as mine was on the inside...also, don't eat food you find when you pull out your seats, very bad idea.
Once you have the other seat out, all you have to do is pull the console upward off the little locating pins and it'll come right out. If you have stuff inside it, it may be heavy so be smart, empty it out.
Then your truck should look like this:

It's not a complete necessity, but you probably should pull off the sill plates to make it easier to pull the seats out. By sill plates, I mean these:

Yes, there's less stuff on the carpet in those last pictures...mostly because I didn't wanna catch hepatitis from the old french fries or get sand and gravel in areas that don't normally see light. It took me a good half hour with a shop vac to get the carpet that clean.
Next you put in the console. The little flexible legs are almost never in decent condition when you get the console shipped to you, so unless you pull it out yourself, be ready for some tweaking.

^ The infamous tabs ^

I ended up using a small hammer to pry on the tabs and a large hammer to hit the small hammer to form the tabs into a somewhat appropriate shape to make them fit. Once in, your console should look like this:

Now, I've read that there is a gap between the console and the dash and I did this project anyway. I figured either I would cover the gap with something or try what others have done and put on a 2003+ dash trim piece. Then I saw what has been called a "HUGE 1" GAP" and figured it wasn't that bad. It's really closer to 3/8" which isn't that bad. I'm living with it for now, but here it is:

Once you've got the console in, everything is pretty much reverse of the disassembly procedure. Just put it back in, bolt it back on. And here it is:

As you may have noticed, the console and other 2003+ pieces are slightly different in color. GM calls them the same, 'dark pewter' or 'charcoal' or whatever it is. Anyway, it's not the same, but it's not too different, so I'm dealing with it.

After you've got everything pieced back together you're done. All the cigarette lighters will hook right up, so will the light for the glove box. The only thing I didn't hook up was the light that used to be in the ash tray; I pulled the bulb out and tucked the wires out of the way so they wouldn't short and blow a fuse or anything.
The console I got was from a Bose equipped truck so it had the sub, amp, and rear audio controls. I didn't really want these so I pulled out the harness for the truck and removed the subwoofer from the front of the console. I didn't want the hassle of trying to wire it all up, and I don't want people messing with my radio while I drive.

All in all, this project took me about two hours over two separate days, a half hour for cleaning and a half hour for cursing at things that don't fit quite right. Anyone should be able to do this given a decent set of handtools, a free weekend, and a few beers to ease the pain. It cost me $450 for the console shipped and I already had tools. (No beer, I'm a young'n)

That's all, hope this helps anyone trying to put a later model console in the 99-02 NBS trucks. Thanks

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I did the same exact swap, I love mine. Whats everyone hiding that gap with, I need to find something.

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
so the bezel can NOT fit, meanin you cant use an 03 bezel to hide fit with the console?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Also did this mod, I love it :shake: Still need to find something to cover the gap. Never thought about drilling out the rivets to the old glove box! Good idea

·
SC 6.0
588 Posts
Very nice write up, hopefully I'll get a chance to do this on my truck some day.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
GMRacer...in a Din.5 truck there is a small gap between the console and the dash....With the glovebox piece is used so that the console fits snug agaisnt the dash horzintally......

To remidy my gap problem I put a small peice of 2x4 under the craddle of the glovebox..lifted it up enough that you ahve to be downlow to see the gap..

·
GMFS Uber-Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn I need to do this. My console is scratched real bad.

Just a question, do you ever vacum your truck?:crazy:

J/k Looks great.
Honestly...I'm so busy with school that I don't even clean my truck on a regular basis. It's "silver birch metallic" that tan/silvery color, and you could cake mud on it and not be able to tell. Same goes for the interior, No wash, no clean. Anyway, glad you guys like the write up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts