GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a HP increase , if I installed edelbrock performance kit with cam. Would I still require a tune ?

Or is a CAI , with blackbear tune save me trouble

I know junk yard swap, but I like the odd.ball 4.3 , just need a little push when passing cars ,getting on hwy.

Appreciate it

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I’d say seriously calculate what your spending for the small gains you’ll get, plus the huge loss of drivability and reliability.

I’m not trying to hate on your vechical, but the 4.3 was worthless. It’s oddball that GM would offer such an old motor when the V8s get better mileage and double the power. It still has spider injection, paper gaskets, and a distributor, hell it even weights more than the LS.

Not to mention you’re coming out pocket two ways messing with the v6. You paid for the parts, and lost really any resale value. Put a LS in it and you surpassed your HP goals and increased the resell by a few thousand.

I just did the swap on an 02 for $500 this week. Found a wreck 01 4.8 at a local tow yard, $400. Gave him the cats for a tow to my shop. About $100 for oil, plugs, one heater hose fitting, and Freon. Never had to use any cutting tools or a welder, all bolt up. Ice Cold A/C, one tire fire on command, instant start up, double the HP, and 20+ mpg. But the big thing is there so much more room to grow HP wise, and the resale went from $1k-$2k to $4-$6k. Not mention I sold the OG trans and rear end for $250 a pop, so $0 in the swap, just about two days of time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Damn , there's a lot there I didn't consider. Really appreciate that , thank you
LS it is .... especially with possibilitie of selling the 4.3
Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts