GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gm truck junkie
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and what i came up with is that i have to buy two differant parts to keep everything working in my truck! the wiring harness that i think i need is like $99 (think it was called gm24) and i never did figure out the part to keep the steering wheel controls!
my question is what exactly do i have to use and where is the cheapest place to buy them???

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
My local audio shop installed the harness to keep my steering controls and they charged me like $70 for the unit and not sure on install. But I got that cd player you sold me installed for $180. Included tax and everything... Kinda a rip, but the unit is comming out and a screen is going in tomorrow...

·
Gm truck junkie
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you have to keep your factory deck in the truck or did you take it out?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
took it out... Some shops seem to think you have to keep it in, but if they know what they are doing then they wont have to leave it in... I have had circuit city put a deck in this 04, and worked just fine, they used a gmrc-01 or something like that... Small box that wired in to keep the door chime, not sure how they are going to wire this screen, but they said everything will work fine...

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
you need the box for the airbag, door locks, chime and other crap to work. GM thinks they can keep everything in the family by doing that, well screw them!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The part you are referring to is the PAC AAI-GM24. I have had bad results with it in a 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax. I get background data-stream noises which sound like static and which PAC has told me are "perfectly normal". During music it isn't that bad but listen to the news or a talk show and it sounds as bad (or worse) than the FM Mod. Let me know!

-gerry ([email protected])

eric36 said:
I did a search and what i came up with is that i have to buy two differant parts to keep everything working in my truck! the wiring harness that i think i need is like $99 (think it was called gm24) and i never did figure out the part to keep the steering wheel controls!
my question is what exactly do i have to use and where is the cheapest place to buy them???

·
9,823 Posts
Aberbaseball7 said:
took it out... Some shops seem to think you have to keep it in, but if they know what they are doing then they wont have to leave it in...
its not that btw. Its either get a relocation harness and keep the radio in it, or buy that box and dont. Its not a matter of skill

·
Registered
94 Posts
94flamds10blazr said:
its not that btw. Its either get a relocation harness and keep the radio in it, or buy that box and dont. Its not a matter of skill
I looked into it, airbags and what not are not connected to the radio's wiring system.

·
9,823 Posts
RHPF said:
I looked into it, airbags and what not are not connected to the radio's wiring system.
they arent directly, but the datalink system is connected into the radio in a loop system of some type. Its all screwy. I dont think even GM mechanics know

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Well I had no airbag problems when I didnt use the chime box. That is all it is for, is to keep the door chime, which is annoying anyways. Not sure why the hell you would get a relocation harness and keep your stock radio in your truck, that is crazy.

But I have done it with the Chime box and without and it wored fine both ways....

·
Registered
277 Posts
ive done a top of the line suburban with the bose setup and had to keep the factory radio in and relocate it to under the seat so that the speedo would work and also the seat memory. Ive also done newer trucks with just a regular 15 dollar harness and had no problems, but you always run across the couple who need the expensive harness and the box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts