GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GMFS founding member
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, n00b here. i posted this over at putc but i figure you guys know what you're talking about as well. anyhow, i see there's a TSB for this under the 2003 sierra 1500 on alldata, but nothing for 2004 yet. i didn't sign up with them yet so i can't read the TSB, but can anyone describe what causes the problem? it makes a bad moaning/whining noise under accelleration when in 4hi or 4atuo, i noticed it today when driving on packed snow. it's going to the dealer monday, but i'd like to know exactly what is going on. tia.

·
Realtor, not Real-iter
421 Posts
If its what Im thinking its pretty normal...... just drive line binding. Yes, even in 4auto.

My 02 does it too but not to the point where I'm concerned.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
danez71 said:
If its what Im thinking its pretty normal...... just drive line binding. Yes, even in 4auto.

:word: almost all 4wds will do this when they are in 4wd. Its kinda normal to hear some noises...but if it is really loud, you may have a problem.

·
GMFS founding member
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dark Eternal said:
can you post the tsb?
03-04-17-005 MAR 03 Drivetrain - Front Axle Whine Noise

i don't have the full text, just the description.

danez71 said:

could you clarify binding? i understand how the CV axles will bind in turns, but it makes the noise when accellerating in a straight line.

thanks for the advice thus far.

·
Realtor, not Real-iter
421 Posts
straight line is different.... although mine still makes some noise then too..... not tooo much to worry about for me.

binding would only occur while turning since in a turn the rear tires do not follow the same path as the fronts..... that difference would cause some binding.

How loud is it? Does the noise fill the cab or do you have to losten for it?

Describing "how loud" on the net should prove to be difficult at best

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
Mine makes some noise too. When in Auto 4x4, when I am giving it gas, something on the frontend makes kinda a growling noise. When I let off the pedal and coast, it goes away. I'm not too concerned about it, as funky noises are normal with 4x4's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts