GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
heat gun + fishing line

Heat the area up, pull the fishing line in behind the molding and it will 'cut' the adhesive backed foam away.

You'll have a ton of glue and crap stuck there.... something like 3M adhesive remover works wonders to break it up or one of their eraser wheels.

Lastly clay the area and then get ready to machine polish b/c you'll have a 'ghost' outline of where it was that will need some polishing to remove.

·
Registered
101 Posts
double sided tape best thing to do is pull on one egde get some fishing line and remove them then go buy a rubber wheel put it in a drill and the glue will come right off no problem be careful not to put a hole in the paint though

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I yanked mine off with my hands... No heating gun or fishing line required. Then ust used the rubber wheel with an electric drill and it took all of the residue off.

I still need to do the 1500hd emblem and the 4x4 sticker.

·
Sweet Tea Pants
430 Posts
I yanked mine off with my hands... No heating gun or fishing line required. Then ust used the rubber wheel with an electric drill and it took all of the residue off.

I still need to do the 1500hd emblem and the 4x4 sticker.
This is what I did too. Just pull it slowly and the tape will tear in two. Then hit it with the eraser wheel.

The eraser wheel was aggravating to spin with a drill, so I paid a body shop $20 and they "erased" the adhesive from both sides and the tailgate. Don't be afraid to let that wheel spin fast, they had them on pneumatic cut off tools and made it look easy.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Be careful to pull the fishing line and not get careless and saw at it. fishing line will scratch the paint if used the wrong way

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.