GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a black 05 Sierra. I want to take off the side chrome trim. Does anybody know if its bolted on or just 2 sided tape? Also, do you think the paint will be ok underneath? I know ill have to get some glue remover to get the sticky tape off, but i was worried about the paint. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
840 Posts
To each their own. But that's one of the differences I love about the GMCs. You should be fine. just take care not to peel your paint.

·
bombs on target
3,016 Posts
just taped on. pull it off, use oo gone to get the rest of the glue off, then wash and wax. will look great.

your truck is new enough you shouldnt have to worry about the paint peeling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool. Ill give it a shot. I like the chrome pieces but i'd rather have the all black look w/the chrome grille. Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
2 sided tape. just pull or take some fishin line and slide it under the trim. then remove the remaining glue with goo-gone and a towel...i personally like the gmc trim...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like the solid black look myself...but i also have black and brushed alum wheels and my truck is completely badgeless...but i think you'll like it

Hunter

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
had them on my black sierra and peeled them off it an 04 and no prob with paint or anything shouldn't have problem

·
Yes, I do...
4,065 Posts
I pulled the trim off of my RC and at times I wish I had kept it.

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
ExCab, or Crew?

Wanna send me your trim, if you can get it off w/o tearing it up? I like the GMC trim vs Chevy trim.

-bZj

·
Registered
840 Posts
I can't see getting it off without damaging it. It'll probably bend and wrinkle up the chrome.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
FWIW...i took the gmc trim off my truck (black, ecsb). the less chrome, and more black, the better :imo.

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
I can't see getting it off without damaging it. It'll probably bend and wrinkle up the chrome.
Not if you use the fishing line method. All my emblems came off in one piece, no problem:

-bZj

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
Not if you use the fishing line method. All my emblems came off in one piece, no problem:

-bZj
LOL use a blow dryer or let it sit in the sun then pull

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
damn u guys beat me to it....i wanted his trim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I removed the trim (the trim is in pretty good shape, but i'm going to hold on to it for a bit). It was easy to pull off, but getting the tape off the truck wasn't exactly fun, but it eventually came off. One some spots, if you catch it in the right light, you can see an outline of where the trim was. I haven't waxed it yet and i think i can buff those out. It doesn't look like paint damage. I like this look much better than with the trim on the sides, but thats just my opinion. I'll try to get some pics this weekend. Thanks for the help.

--Aeon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts