GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
'05 Silverado Z71
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after going through about 8 trucks in the last year and a half, I finally decided to settle back down a little and stick to one and get it how I like it.
I went out and bought a 2006 CCSB LT that is stock other than tires and rims (which I don't like and will be changed). It is loaded with sunroof, leather, etc. and I got a decent deal on it from a dealership. I also bought a 5yr, 100k mile extended warranty for it when I bought it. I bought it from Atlanta and it looks like it has always been in the city with no offroad miles.

When I bought it, the check engine light was on (checked the code before I bought it). It was just the evap vent solenoid so I replaced that the 3rd day I had it which cost $75 for the new one including the extra filter. The fog light switch was also messed up so I ordered a new on (AC Delco from Amazon for $35). Bought seat covers, new floor mats, black cam locker low pro toolbox, etc. The head lights looked horrible so I cleaned them really good (may replace still). I had to change the oil and top off the diffs when I got it (do it on all the used ones I buy).

The plans:
Besides the small stuff I already did, I didn't have many plans up front. I bought a set of 275/55/20 All Terrain tires to replace the street tires that are on it. I sat them in the yard at home and then found a deal on a set of brand new 35/12.50/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers for $750 with the stickers still on them. Now I have to put those on, I need to do a few more things.
Going to get a set of fender flares, torsion keys, shocks, rear block, 1.5" body lift, and see if I can fit the tires without having to go 6"+.

I also need new rims (Tahoe rims aren't working for me). Any suggestions? I am thinking the TX 20s.

Any other suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Clean truck, looks good. How many miles? And good luck fitting 35's! What offset rims you getting? Even with minimal offset you will have a lot of cutting to do to fit those tires.

·
'05 Silverado Z71
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. 145k miles which I wasn't crazy about but since I added the warranty it didn't concern me too much.
I know 35s will be hard to fit but at $750 for a brand new set of trail grapplers I couldn't pass up that deal and I really don't want 6"+ of lift right now (even though I found a deal for $550 on a Fabtech 6" lift - used for 9 months).
My cousin has an 03 ECSB and fit 35s with XD rims (don't know offset) on his with a 1.5" BL and keys turned up and had minimum rubbing. I'm hoping it will give me enough for now and if not, I will either go to a 6" or sell the tires and get something around a 33. I am thinking about 20" TX edition nnbs rims though or something with about +18 offset 20x9. I would really like them in a 20x10 with -19 offset or so but that would basically mean I need to remove the fender without a lift...

Thoughts on which rim to choose?
1. The Gear 726 MB
2. Fuel Maverick
3. Moto Metal 962 (if I can find black and machined, not full black).
4. Fuel Krank (had them on a previous truck and they look good in person.
5. Silverado TX 20s

1, 2, & 3 seem to be basically the same rim... I guess I would go with the cheaper of the three for this style.

·
'05 Silverado Z71
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buying and selling to make extra money. Found good deals on them so I could flip them. That was getting old though and I had to wait awhile there in between some because the state would make me get a dealer license if I kept doing it... A couple of them the bank didn't even have all of the paperwork processed before I sold it...

I opened another thread in the exterior section with a Poll for which rims to choose. Go help me out please. I would like to get something within the next couple of weeks.

·
'05 Silverado Z71
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am also going to be:
removing the lower valence on the front
switching to esky handles (any suggestions on where to get them are welcome)
removing what is left of the pin stripe
changing the exhaust.

·
00silvy
3,679 Posts
You aren't gonna fit 35s with keys cranked and a 1.5" bl. If you do fit them, you will be cutting bumper and will be cranked to the sky and a shitty ride.

·
'05 Silverado Z71
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You aren't gonna fit 35s with keys cranked and a 1.5" bl. If you do fit them, you will be cutting bumper and will be cranked to the sky and a shitty ride.
I knew this was coming from most people that view this thread. I am going to try it and see how it does though. If it doesn't work, I will take them back off and do a 6" lift if I want to put them back on. If it does work, great.

Either way, that is my plans for now. Anything not related to whether or not the 35s will fit, feel free to comment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I knew this was coming from most people that view this thread. I am going to try it and see how it does though. If it doesn't work, I will take them back off and do a 6" lift if I want to put them back on. If it does work, great.

Either way, that is my plans for now. Anything not related to whether or not the 35s will fit, feel free to comment.
See trucks with just keys and 35s everyday.With the body lift on top of keys you should be fine.

·
FoTfive'dpokinoutdaside
2,295 Posts
You can run 35s with keys and stock offset but you will rub frame and maybe valence, nothing major. Everyone around here runs 35s on keys.

·
'05 Silverado Z71
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
See trucks with just keys and 35s everyday.With the body lift on top of keys you should be fine.
That is what I am thinking. My cousin had the same setup and ran it with minimal rubbing (on the inside fender like he almost needed spacers).

You can run 35s with keys and stock offset but you will rub frame and maybe valence, nothing major. Everyone around here runs 35s on keys.
As I mentioned above, he had a little rubbing on the inside fender area even with a little offset from XD Hoss 20s. He said he actually put small spacers on the front to help with this. I am thinking I will do a good bit of offset and see how it does after hearing this from him yesterday.

Going to order the RC level kit (with shocks, rear blocks and all) today or tomorrow hopefully and the Zone 1.5" BL. Are RC and Zone not on here anymore? I posted in their section and sent them both a PM but haven't heard back from either of them... I was hoping maybe they would give a better price through here or at least free shipping maybe. Any suggestions?

·
'05 Silverado Z71
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
goona look nice! The 2 things I wish they had when i bought mine in 03 was the CC and sunroof! haha
Thanks. I have to have a crew cab. Sunroof is a nice option too. Only thing mine doesn't have (not sure why it doesn't) is the heated and memory seats. Has the power fold mirrors, leather, sunroof, 6 disc changer, auto climate control, sliding back glass, etc. It is also only a 4x4 and not a z71 so different shocks, no skid plate, and no fender flares but that is ok. About to put different shocks on it and bought fender flares yesterday (still need paint) so only lacking a skid plate really.

I am also debating on Tow mirrors or keep the stock ones (heated, turn signal, power fold, etc.). If I get tow mirrors, will want power, heated, and turn signal in them and they aren't cheap (about $300 is what I found).

9,795 Posts
Plans sound really good. That is nuts it is so loaded, but no memory seats.

BTW what you doing with the stock wheels (Tahoe 20's)?

·
'05 Silverado Z71
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Plans sound really good. That is nuts it is so loaded, but no memory seats.

BTW what you doing with the stock wheels (Tahoe 20's)?
Ya, not sure why that feature wasn't included... Oh well, I am the only one to ever drive my trucks so memory feature was never a big deal anyway. Heated seats would be nice in the winter but again, no big deal, I have seat covers anyway.

Current wheels (Tahoe 20s) are for sale with the current street tires. I will post a for sale ad in the classifieds section in a minute. I also have a set of 275/55/20 Cooper Discoverer ATP All Terrain tires basically brand new sitting in my yard for sale.

Know anyone that wants either one?

·
00silvy
3,679 Posts
That thing would look so good leveled on those Tahoe 20 and 295/55 Toyos.

·
'05 Silverado Z71
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That thing would look so good leveled on those Tahoe 20 and 295/55 Toyos.
Already have the Trail Grappler 35s sitting at home and I'm not a fan of the Tahoe rims on here. I'm leaning towards the moto metal 962s. Leveling keys, 3" rear block swap, different shocks, and 1.5" body lift will all be going on too.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts