GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, another tire size question I hate to be that guy but anyways on my 2006 chevy silverado 4x4 the 285/70r17 tires are starting to get down there. I recently have put in a 2.5" leveling kit and wanted to move up to 295s. It has the factory 3:42 gears, its not horrible with the 285s, but since the 295s are a little bigger and heavier would a tune over a re gear be worth it? I would just want a little more power with the 295s and obviously upgrading to 4:10s would solve my problems, but I dont plan on running anything bigger and I dont see the reason to spend money to re gear. I was just wondering though would a black bear custom tune be enough to have some power back that I would lose bumping up to 295/70r17?

·
Registered
637 Posts
It may increase your power, but it doesn't reduce the wear and tear on the vehicle.

The re gear is worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may increase your power, but it doesn't reduce the wear and tear on the vehicle.

The re gear is worth it.
I kinda figured that, but for 2600 in labor and parts for a re gear I dont know if I could justify that... Otherwise I maybe thought find a donor truck with factory 4:10s maybe, I would like to lessen the strain on the drivetrain, but it has 130000 miles on it I only plan on keeping it till 190,000 or 200k. I mean would a custok blacl bear tune cause that much more wear and tear? I supose since its lessening torque managment. Plus donor 4:10 trucks are hard to come by. I just dont know if a re gear would be worth it. Unless I stick with 285s and a tune?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well, nothing is required, you just have the trade off. Can you run the 295's with shorter gears, yes. Will the blackbear tune help with power, yes. Deciding which one has more value to you is something you have to decide. For my money, I would go with the gears and then the tune. Will you get any of your money back when you go to sell, most likely not.

So, if you are planning on selling it in 60k I would put the bigger tires on it and then sell when you are ready.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,234 Posts
You are lying to yourself and anyone else you are telling that 3.42s are ok with that tire size. 3.42s suck with stock tires. I ran 295s and 33s on my 06 with the same gearing and high way sucked. Down shifting all the time. Overdrive was pointless. My 02 with 3.42s and 33s sucked too. All of which were tuned. If you enjoy slowness and your trans shifting all the time don't gear.

If you decide not to be gay and regear do 4.56 or 4.30. I ran 4.10s on my 02 suburban and with 31" tires it was barely noticeable. I run 4.56s on my 02 now and it feels and performs great. I have been averaging 16 mpg and I am heavy on the gas. I do all the bakestands and drive little freeway.

Moral of the story don't be gay.

·
Registered
637 Posts
You are lying to yourself and anyone else you are telling that 3.42s are ok with that tire size. 3.42s suck with stock tires. I ran 295s and 33s on my 06 with the same gearing and high way sucked. Down shifting all the time. Overdrive was pointless. My 02 with 3.42s and 33s sucked too. All of which were tuned. If you enjoy slowness and your trans shifting all the time don't gear.

If you decide not to be gay and regear do 4.56 or 4.30. I ran 4.10s on my 02 suburban and with 31" tires it was barely noticeable. I run 4.56s on my 02 now and it feels and performs great. I have been averaging 16 mpg and I am heavy on the gas. I do all the bakestands and drive little freeway.

Moral of the story don't be gay.
I agree, but is it worth the expense on a vehicle for a short duration with little chance of recouping any cost?

I have 4.88 gears in my silverado with 35 inch tires and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I made my decison, since re gearing makes more sense and helps out with drivetrain, I figure if I am paying 2600 for a re gear I will go with 4:56s, I just dont want to get 4:10s and be dissapointed. I have heard of people having good results with the 4 speed with 33s and 4:56 gears. I figure go big or go home, who knows if I spent that money and re geared it I would keep it longer. Maybe even stuff some 305s on it, unless I wait to buy a rust free one not in minnesota then re gear. Regardless I will upgrade to 4:56s. By the way does anyone know anywhere in Minnesota who would do a re gear cheaper than 2600? And also should I keep the g80, or go with a true trac?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
+1 for 4.56s. Night and day difference and I love it.

Tru track for sure, G80 will break a spider gear and chip the new ring and pionion in no time.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,846 Posts
I might faint. Someone listened to GMFS advice instead of getting butthurt and doing what they planned in the first place.

·
Some dude on the internet
274 Posts
Agreed with all^^ regear to 4:56 AND get a tune. Gear to ease the load and put the torquies to the ground, tune to make the shift points and speedo happy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys so much for the replies, sounds like when I re gear to 4:56's I will also get a tru trac, I dont want to spend 2600 to re gear and have the diff. Grenade on me. Also If I re gear before the tires how will 4:56 be on 285s? I do a lot of freeway driving, Im sure it will be good and I could bear the higher rpms. Anyways thanks for the replies, Now to wait for that tax return!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I might faint. Someone listened to GMFS advice instead of getting butthurt and doing what they planned in the first place.
See I dont get that, you ask for insight on a help forum and people still go against everything that been suggested. I know a lot of memebers on here have more than enough experiance with the 03-07 classic and have probbaly thought the same things I have asked. I am only 23 and I know I dont know everything. Where on these forums there are enough people with experiance with it to help out.

·
Registered
914 Posts
See I dont get that, you ask for insight on a help forum and people still go against everything that been suggested. I know a lot of memebers on here have more than enough experiance with the 03-07 classic and have probbaly thought the same things I have asked. I am only 23 and I know I dont know everything. Where on these forums there are enough people with experiance with it to help out.
Now I know you're lying.

:D

·
n. fil-dert.
6,846 Posts
Its hit or miss though. I've seen guys in this forum and others that have never swapped a gear just start throwing numbers around like "I'd go at least 4.56" because they are parroting what others say and they think that is the only gear ration besides 4.10. If someone has actually done it then it's time to listen.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,234 Posts
Thank you guys so much for the replies, sounds like when I re gear to 4:56's I will also get a tru trac, I dont want to spend 2600 to re gear and have the diff. Grenade on me. Also If I re gear before the tires how will 4:56 be on 285s? I do a lot of freeway driving, Im sure it will be good and I could bear the higher rpms. Anyways thanks for the replies, Now to wait for that tax return!
I am roughly 2400ish at 75 with the 33s. So it should not be that much more. And I am not sure on that as I am trying to remember.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I did my first was I was like 17 and broke the g80. Had my dad helping, no dail or mic , and used 3.73s. Yea I couldn’t turn the radio up enough to tone out the gear whine.

200 miles later and I bought 4.10s, a cheap amazon mic and dial. And it was done in a day, super quiet, no guess work.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts