GMC Truck Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I may look at the tutorials maybe try it myself, we will see. I know how to use a mic and a dial, so that shouldnt be a problem. Anyways thanks again everyone for all the replies. Looks like tax return time I'll be investing in some 4:56 gears and a detroit tru trac. Any gear brands that I should stay away from? Good brands too look at?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Gears gonna gear.

But, USA standard gear install kit is the best by far. They include shim packs vs 50 paper shims ever other kit has. Plus a 50 page booklet that has everything in it you need to know.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,234 Posts
Gears gonna gear.

But, USA standard gear install kit is the best by far. They include shim packs vs 50 paper shims ever other kit has. Plus a 50 page booklet that has everything in it you need to know.
This. I used the cheapest gears I could find on Amazon. And this for the install kit

·
Registered
27 Posts
You are lying to yourself and anyone else you are telling that 3.42s are ok with that tire size. 3.42s suck with stock tires. I ran 295s and 33s on my 06 with the same gearing and high way sucked. Down shifting all the time. Overdrive was pointless. My 02 with 3.42s and 33s sucked too. All of which were tuned. If you enjoy slowness and your trans shifting all the time don't gear.

If you decide not to be gay and regear do 4.56 or 4.30. I ran 4.10s on my 02 suburban and with 31" tires it was barely noticeable. I run 4.56s on my 02 now and it feels and performs great. I have been averaging 16 mpg and I am heavy on the gas. I do all the bakestands and drive little freeway.

Moral of the story don't be gay.
I re-geared and I'm pretty gay. I think you got your wires crossed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree, but is it worth the expense on a vehicle for a short duration with little chance of recouping any cost?

I have 4.88 gears in my silverado with 35 inch tires and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
OP Might decide to keep the truck a little longer once it's geared in 4.56.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts