GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I recently started shopping for trucks and asked a dealership to keep an eye out for a Chevy or GMC truck with 4x4. I got a call about a 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4 extended cab its got 205,107 miles. The price is $5,980 asking price. I am wanting to check it out since I don't have a lot of money to buy a truck/vehicle in general and this one popped up. I guess my question is would the 5.3 in this 2008 chevy still have some life left in it until I could find another replacement down the road. Would this truck last another 5 years if it runs out good and doesn't have any major issues. I know on these model chevys the AFM system tears the motor up and lifters stick and it starts to tick and burn oil and such. Any advice??? Stay away? or Check it out??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I should say I don't have the $50,000 to buy a truck. I just need one for work and it will probably get muddy and dented up and stuff. Typical work truck use.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
as long as its not an AFM 5.3 you should be good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2008 would be the Active Fuel management truck correct? Did GM make the 2008s without AFM? If so I didn't know that. I saw there was a few motor options on the 5.3s with different VIN number codes. This truck im planning on looking at is the Flex fuel if that makes any difference which I doubt it does.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There's always a bit of gambling involved. For a little more money, and if you have the tools, the AFM can be removed. One of these kits and then program out the afm (such as a Hypertech) should help.

Cylinder Deactivation Delete Combos -

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
2008 with 200k. Nope. Not unless you have 3k sitting aside to install a new engine. The 07.5-10 engines were the worst with oil consumption and lifter failures.

I bet it has fender flares on it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Some dude on the internet
389 Posts
Agree with what they said about the later years ^^ This also means you get the 6L80 trans.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would have to agree with you all. I was just wanting some more info to help me deicde. I know car lots try to make money as well you know how they are and they need to support their familes as well. I think the sales guy said it was all High way miles. How can I check to see if the truck or any vehicle is drove more on the interstate rather then city. I would say check the brake pedal for ware and steering wheel? The truck is the stone gray metallic tint coat or whatever GM calls the grayish blue color of the 2008 models. The truck looks to have minor body rust looks to be all surface rust. frame doesn't look terrible has surface rust as well but im sure if I bought it which I may or may not. I could sand the rust spots down and repaint over them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also the fenders aren't even covered up doesn't even have flares on the truck but it looks like they tried to prevent rust by painting some kind of paint or possibly bed liner up over the rocker panels and on the doors and such. I will try to post a pic.

·
Some dude on the internet
389 Posts
Also the fenders aren't even covered up doesn't even have flares on the truck but it looks like they tried to prevent rust by painting some kind of paint or possibly bed liner up over the rocker panels and on the doors and such. I will try to post a pic.
More than likely tried to cover up the rust with it...

Engine hours vs miles is best indicator, otherwise you don't, nor will ever have, proof they are all highway miles.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
If your budget is 6K for a work truck I’d look to the previous generation 99-06 and buy the newest, nicest one of those you can find. Simpler and cheaper to repair.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are very true @tdrumm I actually own one myself right now a 2000 Chevy Silverado its my favorite model chevy and gmc truck. I would like to find another but there aren't many in my area in good condition. I live in the Salt belt and most of the ones around me are rust buckets or have lots of miles and are tore up. I would like to snatch another 99-06 model GM truck up but I can never find one to purchase that is In good shape

1 - 15 of 15 Posts