GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, guess I'll go ahead and start. I think I did this once already but I've changed my mind on almost everything so I'll start over. Anyway, basic drivetrain list:

Engine: Either 6.0 or 8.1, see thread in engine forum to help me decide
Trans: Full manual bad boy 4l80e w/art carr shifter
T-case: Either my 4401/205 doubler or a stak 3 speed if they get the bugs worked out
Axles: U419 Mogs
Tires/Wheels: 47" LTB's on military aluminum double beadlocks for recreation and 40" red label krawlers on walker beadlocks for highway (more on this soon).

It's still a work in progress but it's completely accurate since alot of the sheetmetal will be laser cut... Axle brackets are just temp till I draw the real thing and also the knuckles are missing, haven't got that far... But you get the idea...

I'll post updated design pics as I get further and parts pics since I'm collecting now... Shocks are next thing to come in I think...

Radiator will be in the "ext. cab" area of the chassis along with the 40 gallon tank.

As you can guess I'm going for a hybrid prerunner / rock rig. I've put a lot of time into the rear suspension. I'm sure you have all seen trailing arms that the trophy trucks use but they kill ground clearance and keep everything in harms way, my setup keeps that all up high and I get a double triangulated 4 link to keep the axle steer to a minimum. Bump/Strapped rear travel should be right at 26".

Still working on the front... Hard to work around that engine thing...

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
pic is a red X

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Just do a 3-link front so i can actually have some new reading material

·
Architecture owns me
2,351 Posts
So you're not building the buggy? and this is gonna be street legal then? Is your truck in current form street legal?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Nice, what kind of coilovers? Same ones you have now?

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
so your truck is gonna be ravaged of goodies and scrapped? tis a sad day, but bigger and better things to come i suppose

btw your 205 article is back up :naughty:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just do a 3-link front so i can actually have some new reading material
I just finished a 3 link front on a blazer, pics soon.

So you're not building the buggy? and this is gonna be street legal then? Is your truck in current form street legal?
It is a buggy, in sheeps clothing... It will be street legal with the skins on it. The current truck is not street legal. The skins will be removed to wheel other than stuff like Pismo where they can stay on. The skins are strictly for road legality. They will be fiberglass.

Nice, what kind of coilovers? Same ones you have now?
Going to use my current rear shocks in the front of this along with a sway 2.5x18 4 tube bypass shock. The rear of this will be sway 2.5x14 coil carrier neutral valved with a 2.5x16 4 tube bypass. I'll sell my current front shocks.

so your truck is gonna be ravaged of goodies and scrapped? tis a sad day, but bigger and better things to come i suppose
Yup pretty much, but not much will stay from it acutally other than the tires.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats in autocad. I am not a fan of solidworks. Autodesk Inventor does everything Solidworks does. I use Inventor for my sheetmetal layouts for the laser cutter and use it for it's collision detection stuff. I can import that chassis into Inventor from Acad and cycle the suspension to see what hits what, etc.

But yeah I've been using Autocad for 14 years :crazy:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats sick, im gonna miss the big OD crewcab though. So are you just skinning the whole thing with sheet metal or are you going to run a fiberglass body?
I've got a fiberglass trophy truck body, 03 silverado. It will be narrowed to match the width of the buggy. One piece clip, doors, and bed skins. As I said, it will only be on for the road and for pismo and such.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Thats in autocad. I am not a fan of solidworks. Autodesk Inventor does everything Solidworks does. I use Inventor for my sheetmetal layouts for the laser cutter and use it for it's collision detection stuff. I can import that chassis into Inventor from Acad and cycle the suspension to see what hits what, etc.

But yeah I've been using Autocad for 14 years :crazy:
haha, 14 years might help a little. i have limited use with both, so far i hate hate hate ACAD 2005 compared to SW 2005, SW just seems easier to use although i am still very much in the basics of both

either way....looks incredibly sick, got an ETA on start/completion for the build up?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Autocad has a much steeper learning curve than solid works but I love... I guess it's because it is what I started with when I was 10 years old and just taught myself over the years. It's way easier to use for me than solidworks since they are so different I am used to the way autodesk does things. I do use solidworks for FEA occasionally on parts though. Like the trailing arms, I did FEA on them in SW.

Build will start the day the walls are drywalled in my new shop... Hopefully thats in a month or two. I'm not worried at the moment, I'm collecting parts. I do have a deadline of July but I doubt I'll make it, may have to wait till next years trip... But yeah, I'm collecting parts and getting a nice pile. I need the shocks before I start building along with the engine, or I may pickup a mockup block, one of those plastic ones.

·
has driven a Ford lately.
2,478 Posts
Wow, definitely going to be watching this one.

Seems a shame to tear apart the old rig when it's providing so little....will it eventually be put back together or are you done with it? What's the value of something like your old rig if you were just to outright sell it? (I'm sure in any case this involves waiting a long time to find the right guy to buy it.)

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
What size tube are using for the chassis and what material(are you going 4130 like you had mentioned for the TT project?) The lower links look really small for what Im used to seeing under your truck, not to scale yet or are you running chromo links too to help weight?

I see even with the lighter weight and most likely higher fuel efficiency your keeping the 40 gallon tank size, Im all for more fuel, but mine is a pig like your is currently, this thing will be a feather comparitively. Just for peace of mind or are you trying to take this thing long distances without the trailer?

Looks like your going to be a busy guy, Ill bet that TIG will get a workout. The model looks great, I wish my CAD program at school gave us seatime in Inventor, for parametric modeling we stick to SW and Pro-E.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
what are u going to be using for diff's in that thing ? unimogs ?
i'm assuming you did NOT read the 1st post in this thread :LOL:

1 - 20 of 215 Posts