GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Its in the works...
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, below is a list of options currently available for the new style 2007/2008 GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab. I'm not up on the difference between the gearing, what do you all recommend and why. (Which gives better gas milage, and which is better if I plan to lift it?)

Also what are the advantages between the three engine options? Flex fuel sounds like a good option, but does it give better mpg?

If you were going to pick things to add/customize what should be done at time of purchase? I'm going to do alot after purchase, but from what I hear with the new trucks some things are still better off being done by the dealers at this point in time...

-thanks

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
you're worrying about gas mileage and you want to lift your truck :uhoh:

But anyways, I'd get the vortecmax package. I dunno how much you plan on lifting or how big of tires you're wanting, but you'll probably be glad you have that extra power down the road. Depending on your driving now (mostly city or mostly highway) or how long you plan on driving this thing before you lift it will determine the gears you want now. But I think with the vortecmax package you get the 4.10s anyways. When you lift it you'll end up having to change gears most likely, so in the long run it really isnt going to matter.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I agree with spitfire.. I would definately go with the 6.0 and the 4.10.. You don't have to change the gears if you lift your truck, but the 3.73 will rob you of power. Believe me I have that problem right now. The 4.10 will get you closer to factory ratio settings. Three out of four of the tire options for the truck from the factory with about 31" tires and the 4.10 will give you a little worse gas mileage than the 3.73 but it is right in the middle between gas mileage and power. Below is a link to a website that will give you a gear ratio chart. Good luck and keep us updated as to of what you go with.

http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm

·
droppin loads
3,883 Posts
If you are just going to do 35s with the lift, get 4.10s and you won't have to regear. Flex fuel gets worse mileage but the fuel is supposedly cheaper. I've never actually seen the fuel for sale though. I wouldn't add any dealer installed accessories because they'll mark it up 100% at the minimum.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Go 6.0 or go home! Just my opinion, but I might be a little biased.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Get the largest motor and the lowest gearing you can. If you are REAL smart, you'll wait until the 6L80E is standard in the trucks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Get the largest motor and the lowest gearing you can. If you are REAL smart, you'll wait until the 6L80E is standard in the trucks.
:word: built 6L80E :drool:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
As I understand for the '08 model year.

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
well fuck. looks like I'll be stuck with a 4-speed :bawl: Puttin the G6 up for sale in about 2 months or so, I'm hopin to snatch up an 07 classic, and hopin they want to move that bitch.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
The four speed is junk, I'd wait it out.

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
Or go HD... they already have the 6spds.

-bZj

·
has driven a Ford lately.
2,478 Posts

-bZj
:word: I'd do the same....btw, whatever happened with your truck?

I'd go 6.0L 3.73 if running up to 33s, 4.10 if 35s or larger. 6.0L/Vortec Max also buys you the 4L70E in a half ton and I think a 14 bolt SF.

If ordering, buy the shittiest tires available (and preferably in a brand sold by the store that will sell you your preferred tires)...drive the truck immediately to the tire store. You can typically get 1-200 credit back.

Do not get the luggage rack.

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
My truck has finally been totaled out, after a nasty letter and a complaint to the state insurance commissioner. Now they are taking their time, giving weak offers, etc. I only need them to come up a grand or two in their offer, and I'll be ordering up a 6.0L/Z71 2500HD SLE1 EC.

-bZj

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
The four speed is junk, I'd wait it out.
I wish I could wait, I really, really cant stand this car and need to get back into a truck.

I might look into that, but I probably wont get shit off with my discount seeing as they're brand new. I have a few options, but most likely I'll end up with a RCSB 4x4, like I should have got to begin with.

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
My GM Supplier discount applies to all new vehicles.

-bZj

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
you wouldnt happen to know how much off it is would you? I know last year when I was looking at a RCSB it was almost 10k.

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
The 2500HD I'm pricing has about $2500 off via GMSD, plus $1000 bonus cash (and another $1000 if you're trading in a 1999+ newer).

2007 K2500HD ECSB
6.0L/6L90E
+Z71 offroad pkg
+Convenience pkg
-----
~$34-35k
-$2500
-$1000
-----
~$31k

-bZj

1 - 20 of 31 Posts