GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 ECSB Z71 with 30k miles on it and was looking to get some new takeoff 2008 silverado LTZ 20" rims to put on it. I was wondering if they would balance good without the outside weights on them because I like to take the outerweights off of oem rims to help takecare of the finsh. I have a set of 2005 Z71 tahoe new takeoff rims on it now that I had the outside weights took off of when I got them and they do good but I don't know about 20" rims. Any help is appreciated. Here is a pic of a truck just like mine with the 20" rims on it. THANKS!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-LS-2001-Chevy-Silverado-LS-1500-Extended-Cab-Z71-Package_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a317Q7c66Q3a4Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a200QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem270356913947QQitemZ270356913947QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

·
Banned
4,048 Posts
You can place tire weights close enough inside the rim to have the wheel balanced. We do it all the time at the dealership.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just tell who ever balances them to use stick on weights behind the spokes, If they know what they are doing they should understand what you want.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Just tell who ever balances them to use stick on weights behind the spokes, If they know what they are doing they should understand what you want.
seems those stick on weights fall off pretty easily.... I had some put on my current 20's and I think I might be missing some.

·
Team White
2,530 Posts
It can be placed inside but it depends on if the balancer is set to static or dynamic because it can either be put on both inside and outside or just the inside. Certain balancers let you place the stick-on weights either the edge of the back of the wheel or the right behind the face. Depends on the machine really.

·
Team White
2,530 Posts
seems those stick on weights fall off pretty easily.... I had some put on my current 20's and I think I might be missing some.
They will fall off if the wheel hasn't been cleaned properly with rubbing alcohol. I just keep a spray bottle and a bunch of rags when we balance wheels.

·
Registered
237 Posts
They will fall off if the wheel hasn't been cleaned properly with rubbing alcohol. I just keep a spray bottle and a bunch of rags when we balance wheels.
:word: I've never lost a stick on weight and I can't even count how many I have done from lifted trucks with over sized tires to corvettes and camaros pushing big horsepower. I have seen people put duct tape over the weights to help hold them on the wheel though

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
i use the metal AC tape to cover up my wieghts, when i was a tire jockey back in the day people would look at there wheels and bitch saying i didnt balance them since i would put the wieghts on the inside of the wheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts