GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was my fathers truck, purchased it off him for a steal of a price. Here's a build log.

2008 Silverado ecsb 2wd, owned it for going on 2 years now and have done a good amount to it so far, Ill try to update this as much as I can.

I don't really have too many pictures of what it looked like completely stock from when I got it, My dad took really good care of it, ill try to run through all iv'e done to it so far.

How it sat pretty much when I got it, Just put a RC 2" level on it and thats it.
IMG_3107.JPG

IMG_3109.JPG

Later on put a new front bumper on and tows
thumbnail_IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

Removed the toolbox, all cleaned up.
IMG_3405.JPG

A bunch of stuff happened here and there that I don't have any pictures of, Tonneau cover went on, head unit, shocks etc.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Colormatched my mirrors, put on chrome handles.
IMG_4538.jpg

New tires, Falken wildpeak at3w - /285/70/17, with different oem wheels I got cheap off craigslist.
IMG_4505.jpg

IMG_4557.JPG

6de86d4dbddb46c4eea143e86a4b0ad6.jpg

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
af234a46e5a9a9ba3d5e78391368a592.jpg

IMG_4569.JPG

Hd grille
IMG_4659.JPG

IMG_4661.jpg

Pulled the chrome handles, threw on colormatched handles as well as a colormatched rear bumper, debadged it and put on new 5.3 badges in its place
IMG_4900.jpg

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been thinking the same thing, either want to put on the stock mirrors, but I was looking at a set of Procomp 7005's, 0 offset, which should push them out some.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Over the weekend I started working on this thing, been so busy I never took pictures, and didn't have the time to post anything. Got a lot done though.
Most of the time Saturday was just tearing it down, I was able to get everything off and the new cam in, and front all buttoned back up as well as cleaned the block up.

26904137_1746987885366597_6488384217395940663_n.jpg

Sunday was a bitch. I got the heads cleaned, valves lapped and springs installed, put the drivers side head on and all went smoothly. I went to put the passenger side head on, 2nd to last bolt, torquing in the correct sequence, with a new torque wrench. SNAP. Broke a fucking bolt off in the block right when I
was nearing the first 90 degrees. :disgust: Luckily it came right out with an easy out the next day.

Believe it was a bad bolt, cleaned the threads out and made sure I got all the coolant out before I started, no clue.

Yesterday I had some free time waiting for some new head bolts so I decided to take some time and clean up some parts, I had some red and black engine paint and decided to paint my valve covers. Not too crazy on the orange, may blast it and respray it black.

IMG_5145.jpg

Head bolts should be here today, Ill try to get some more done when I get off.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got some more done today, other head is on as well as the rockers, valve covers/coils and headers.

I also got the harmonic balancer and water pump on, but I have a ARP balancer bolt coming Friday because I was worried with the tty crank bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took way too long to update this, but the truck is done for now, got it tuned the other day and still has a shit exhaust leak from the cheap amazon headers. About to buy some kooks long tubes w/ a catted y pipe as well as a different muffler cause this magnaflow ain’t cutting it. Otherwise, this is how it’s sitting for a little while.

I’m also looking at getting rid of this 2 inch level and 33s and going down to at least a 3/5 hopefully by May, also torn between 20” tbss reps or 20” texas reps. Gotta figure that out soon

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I installed some clear headlights today. For $100 dollars on ebay I wasn’t expecting much but these are actually pretty decent, fit is eh but the finish on them is pretty good.

Before:

After:

I am waiting on different turn signal bulbs and headlight bulbs so when I get them I will be sealing them a bit more as well as putting a 3m guard over them

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put my Speed Engineering longtubes as well as their true dual kit on the other day. Sounds killer but can be a little loud sometimes. I got the dump kit but wishing I got the rear exit kit. Oh well, i'll probably go to my exhaust shop and have them pipe it out the rear.

Early start this morning so I went ahead and made my mount for my AEM Air/Fuel gauge.

I started out with GM P/N 15280782, It the plate that normally goes on 2500/3500's for the pto switch on the right side of the dash.

IMG_5289.jpg

I then cut the back section out with a dremel

IMG_5290.jpg

IMG_5291.jpg

Threw it up in the mill with my boring head and bored out the hole to 52mm.

IMG_5293.jpg

It came out alright, but I put painters tape on the face and sides to protect the plastic a bit, but it pulled off the black paint on the front.. :favorites68:

IMG_5294.jpg

Ill be replacing it later on and moving the gauge closer to me to where the 4wd switch would normally go. But for $7 this is alright for now.

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,270 Posts
Wow cool

Edit: would look good on Texas or Ltz 20s and 33s
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
I for real thought that was cool putting your afr in the dash. A lot cooler than using a gauge pod :doublepuk

I bet some matte black vinyl wrap on the plate face would do the trick covering the paint flake.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I considered pods on the pillar, but for one gauge its pretty useless. I also considered 3d printing a insert to go into my ashtray on the lower portion of the dash, that way I could open it and look at it when I want, but my gauge wont fit

I have some satin black vinyl laying around actually, I might try that

·
Registered
125 Posts
Trucks looking better everyday! Are you going to throw an HD hood on it? Or are you going to keep the stock one. I also think some OEM 20s would set it off but you just spent a $(!))!$*@ ton of money fixing the AFM/Tune/Headers etc.

You should throw up an exhaust video for us when finished. How do you like the truck with the new cam vs pre-afm failure?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! And yeah, thats the plan. Eventually.

Yeah, I spent a decent amount, but it was only to fix GM's fuckup. Truck feels like it did before, just some more power of the line and its also wayy smoother now I noticed. Ill get some sound clips up.

·
Fuck all of you
1,107 Posts
Took way too long to update this, but the truck is done for now, got it tuned the other day and still has a shit exhaust leak from the cheap amazon headers. About to buy some kooks long tubes w/ a catted y pipe as well as a different muffler cause this magnaflow ain’t cutting it. Otherwise, this is how it’s sitting for a little while.

I’m also looking at getting rid of this 2 inch level and 33s and going down to at least a 3/5 hopefully by May, also torn between 20” tbss reps or 20” texas reps. Gotta figure that out soon
I think the TBSS reps

1 - 20 of 96 Posts