GMC Truck Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I haven’t had any experience with the rust encapsulator but Eastwood has some good stuff. Por15 is an option or depending on how long you want it to last a good rust control aerosol paint. Krylon rust tough is what I put on my frame.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
New pump is in and line is also on. Pulled it around and cleaned up the rear.

Also sprayed a couple areas of the frame just to see how I like it... got it pulled into the tent. Going to finish spraying tomorrow hopefully.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
What product did you end up going with and what are you doing for prep? the ESCB silverboy just finished came out great.
3m rubberized undercoating. Wire wheeled and washed the frame.

Finished it up for the night. Beds going back on tomorrow.

I tried to get everywhere I could, also bought some frame plugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,551 Posts
Yea he’s right, once that peels it’s going to do the same thing all over

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Why would you used rubberized??? Will cause it to rust again.

I used this stuff about 2 years ago on a trailer. I like it, haven’t had any issues yet.

Plus the amount I currently drive this I don’t think it will start anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,273 Posts
Lots of YouTube vids showing the aftermath of covering up rust with rubberized coatings. It looks good for a while, all the time your frames still rusting under it.

It’s why rust converters like por are so popular. But if you don’t plan to drive it in the salt mist more it might be ok.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,836 Posts
I would take "I have used it, no issues and I like it" versus "I watched a you tube video about it".

·
Super Moderator
5,273 Posts
Congratulations Floridian.

I’ve dealt with rubberized undercoatings. It’s common knowledge they can make a rust issue worse. You don’t know until you scrape it off or until it begins to peel and you see what it did under it. The suggestion to watch vids was to be more informed about the product.

A two year test on a trailer isn’t a long term test..

·
n. fil-dert.
6,836 Posts
Congratulations Floridian.

I’ve dealt with rubberized undercoatings. It’s common knowledge they can make a rust issue worse. You don’t know until you scrape it off or until it begins to peel and you see what it did under it. The suggestion to watch vids was to be more informed about the product.

A two year test on a trailer isn’t a long term test..

It's all about prep. Sorry you can't handle that part.

·
Super Moderator
5,273 Posts
I’m sure you have tons of experience dealing with rusted northern frames. Please inform us about the proper way to do it.

Because rubberized undercoating on new frames will cause them to rust. Can’t get more prepped than new steel.

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,275 Posts
:popcorn:

·
n. fil-dert.
6,836 Posts
I’m sure you have tons of experience dealing with rusted northern frames. Please inform us about the proper way to do it.

Because rubberized undercoating on new frames will cause them to rust. Can’t get more prepped than new steel.

"cuz Flordida" lol. Seems to be your go-to when you are cornered with logic.

·
Super Moderator
5,273 Posts
Just so we are clear, you’re not going to inform us as to how to properly treat a rust belt rusted frame and explain why rubberized coating will work better than a rust converter like por? Got it. Thanks.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,836 Posts
Just so we are clear, you’re not going to inform us as to how to properly treat a rust belt rusted frame and explain why rubberized coating will work better than a rust converter like por? Got it. Thanks.

Hold on, I'll YouTube that.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
2 weeks ago I did a quick once over and corrected any areas that I felt needed addressing, then I applied Adams new ceramic coating. This stuffs awesome!
IMG_7606.JPG

IMG_7612.JPG

I also installed a set of DL3' I got off facebook. However now the truck keeps throwing a random lean P0171 code. I already checked all intake hoses, rechecked all the intake bolts and tb bolts. It happens once or twice a week. From what my wideband says it runs pretty much spot on, however it will have a random spike up to 16.1 then go back to around 14.7-15.0.

You can definitely smell it for that short period, but it quickly smooths back out. Both intake gaskets are brand new and a new fuel pump 2 months ago. Already tried cleaning the maf, but got nothing.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Finally got the flip kit, and rear shocks. Now I’m just waiting on struts and tires. Long overdue, but had to focus on other things non truck related.

Also, I picked up a extra set of struts from a 09 z71.. my hope is I could put my belltech lowering struts under these coils so that way I can just swap the completed strut over, and have an extra just in case I wanted to go back up.

My question is, does anyone know if the coils are different between the two?

61 - 80 of 96 Posts