GMC Truck Forum banner

121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Slowly getting this knocked out. Almost everything has showed up, still waiting on a few bushings and seals

Also never explained the trans build

All new gaskets, seals, bushings
Raybestos "stage 1" red frictions
Kolene Coated Steels
New bands
New pistons
Rollerize tailshaft
Rollerize front hub w/ sonnax billet
Sonnax TCC regulator valve
New Solenoids
Sonnax Trans boost valve kit
Sonnax Imidized checkballs
Sonnax regulated pressure valve

Once I get another teflon seal (ripped one), and a bushing for the sungear shaft (my kit was short one), I will be able to start full assembly

Here's the detail for the rollerized rear: Factory uses a selective washer, and a thrust washer. Factory spec with both together is .150"

Now I was able to shim the new thrust bearing to equal dead .150" as well. Cant remember the thickness of the shim or bearing off the top of my head, however this will get my end play very close.

Here is the case with the no-walk bushing installed backwards. This eliminates the purpose of the no walk bushing, however makes a nice location for the bearing and shim to lay in between, centering it in the case. Top of bushing is perfectly equal to thickness of the bearing/shim. Also reverse band is installed here

Bushing with seal and clip

Forward drum with frictions, steels and Sonnax rollerized hub. Factory size + amount of steels/frictions are used.

Forward hub installed onto center support. Air checking the forward drum piston. Got about .125 of travel, which is well within spec.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Bed came off yesterday, been meaning to fix a really bad rattle from the rear. It was a heat shield that Gm decided to place in between the bed and frame rails that can only be accessed with the bed off.

Also since it’s off I am installing the gears, truetrac, and also redid all my helper bag lines. Wrapped in rubber hose at every hard point contacting the frame, also changed fittings to compression.

Old G80 and hardware

New treutrac and gears

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 · (Edited)
Gears are in. Also did new axle seals and bearings while I was in there.

No pics of pattern or anything. Got it pretty damn close for what I was working with, about a .030 pinion shim from what I remember.. can't remember side shim thickness. .005 backlash.

No noise, nice and quiet.

Also while bed was off fixed tips. Hated the terrible fit and spacing of old tips, so cut them and dumped right after axle. Not a fan of the staggered look but had to be done because of the spare tire location. Doesn't really matter anyway since its coming off in a couple of months for turbo

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Tru tracs are awesome. Probably my favorite mod on my old RCSB.

What gears did you go with?

Reactions: heysoos

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,891 Posts
Nice. Also need more on that turbo square back there...
I’m pretty thats his buddy’s square. If it is, it’s a 5.3 but the turbos are just used as mufflers and the intake side isn’t connected. Or at least that’s how it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
I’m pretty thats his buddy’s square. If it is, it’s a 5.3 but the turbos are just used as mufflers and the intake side isn’t connected. Or at least that’s how it used to be.

@JLGMT82 updated

Lol, nope. 468. Never had a 5.3 and turbos weren't hooked up only for a short period of time while everything was still going together

Poor screenshot of a video but its all I have

Back when it was still getting put together

But yes it is a friend of mines. Currently getting a built 400

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,891 Posts
Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: Jack1181

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
New exhaust time

I cannot explain how excited I am to get this garbage speed engineering exhaust off the truck. It would have been off a long time ago if I didn't keep putting it off. However it has gotten to the point where it needs to go. The mufflers are non existent anymore and something has broken loose inside.. and two more welds on the xpipe have cracked.. slams the trans crossover that makes my truck sound like it has a damn rod knock.. fuck this thing.

I could have pulled it off, put two new mufflers on it and re welded the cracks, however I cant run it with my turbo setup anyway, so into the dumpster where it belongs

So I bought a cheap cat back for like 200 bucks and a borla xr1 (40944). The catback looks really good for 200 bucks. Good mandrel bends, much better tig welds then the se kit. Its hilarious that this cheap 200 dollar catback uses the same muffler as the speed engineering kit. Explains alot.. doesn't matter I'm not using it anyway.

Only the piping and tip will be used here, I'll have to modify a little bit for the center/center xr1.

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,891 Posts
I vote it to be axle dumped, or hug the bed with a Corsa style si/do tip.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Speed Engineering junk is off, New kit is on. Pretty much the same exhaust note just cleaner and less rattles. Had to cut the old kit off. Speed Engineering said you have to cut 1.5" off the headers in order to get their y-pipe to fit them. Nice one speed engineering

Only complaint with the new kit is the hanger brackets are a little small. So they tend to slip out of the isolator.. going to put a temporary hose clamp around the end until I weld new ones on. Other than that it fit up great, doesn't hit anything, and zero leaks.

121 - 140 of 154 Posts