GMC Truck Forum banner

141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Colormatched tailgate cap. This is just wrap at the moment, 1080 sticks well to this plastic. Did a test piece and it took some effort to pull it off. This is temporary, wanted to see how it looked before I sent it to get painted.

I also dropped my new tailgate handle off for paint today. This bezel is cracked and is beat up from when I painted it myself 3 years ago.

Now I'm wondering if I should do my bed caps, I would take them off however they are pretty beat up underneath. I'm worried paint would took goofy since they aren't flat.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Colormatched tailgate cap. This is just wrap at the moment, 1080 sticks well to this plastic. Did a test piece and it took some effort to pull it off. This is temporary, wanted to see how it looked before I sent it to get painted.

View attachment 873822
View attachment 873823

I also dropped my new tailgate handle off for paint today. This bezel is cracked and is beat up from when I painted it myself 3 years ago.

Now I'm wondering if I should do my bed caps, I would take them off however they are pretty beat up underneath. I'm worried paint would took goofy since they aren't flat.
No offense here, but I personally don’t like the matched plastic cap. Seems odd to me. To each his own.. but it seems that if you want the cap cm’d, it looks odd to not also have the bed rail caps cm’d. I think it has to be all black plastic, or all cm’d..

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
No offense here, but I personally don’t like the matched plastic cap. Seems odd to me. To each his own.. but it seems that if you want the cap cm’d, it looks odd to not also have the bed rail caps cm’d. I think it has to be all black plastic, or all cm’d..
No offense taken, it’s only wrap and was put on to see how I like it.

I may yoink it and wait until I get new bedsides in a year or so. Then I’ll paint the cap to match + plus have fresh new bed sides with no need for caps.

One bedside is dented pretty good and the other has a bubble on the inside of the wheel well, not on the outside yet so I can hold off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The great white Canadian
1,751 Posts
If you are doing the body work on the besides, see about having tailgate fulled and shaved under the cap and remove it all together. Could be a clean look. Especially if you are not putting caps on the bed rails. Don't think I've seen that done before.

·
The great white Canadian
1,751 Posts
I wouldn't shave the tailgate handle, doesn't look right IMO. I just meant fill in the holes under the cap and smooth it out. Have no cap like you plan with the bedsides.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Shave cap, but not the handle IMO.

Reactions: heysoos

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Thinking I'm gonna keep the tailgate handle, smooth the tailgate lip where the valance goes (like this but keep the tailgate handle), and also fill and smooth the stake holes in the bedsides.

This is what I have going on with the bedsides currently. The scratches aren't that deep, alot of them can be polished out.. however there would still be a few scratches. My old tonneau cover left these weird streaking/haze over the paint that I couldn't hit with a polisher..

·
The great white Canadian
1,751 Posts
I did just the bed mat this time, cause someone was selling it locally, cheap. Might do a full rug later, but it works for now. I'm finding I don't need a truck as much as I use to, I just buy them now because I'm comfortable in them. I think that's why I don't care that this truck has the equivalent of a trunk instead of a bed.

141 - 154 of 154 Posts