GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering HD convert to my 1500 2001 Yukon. However seen people running the 2010ish HD Vortec hood on some 2001-2006 Yukon / Tahoe. Anyone know the process for this. Is it a minor/major trans plant. What parts would I need. what will need to change. Thank you. Any pix pre, during, post would be great.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
A 2010 HD hood isn’t bolting onto a 2001 Yukon in any way with any semblance of alignment.

Do you mean a 01-02 Silverado HD hood? Lots of people do that swap, with minor bodywork at the front corners of the hood to make it fit with the GMC headlights and fender corners.

I have seen 2010 hood vents and center sections grafted into 06+ Silverado hoods but that’s a lot more work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do mean 2010 Vortec. I’ve seen it done but never any write ups anywhere I can find. Also no info to drop and email. Early HD swap is not a problem. Easy to do. I will see is I can find a picture of what I have seen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand this is on a Silverado. But it sure looks possible. I do realize the headlight area of the fenders is slightly different on the 2001 Yukon. But I’m not against running Silverado lights and grill as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A 2010 HD hood isn’t bolting onto a 2001 Yukon in any way with any semblance of alignment.

Do you mean a 01-02 Silverado HD hood? Lots of people do that swap, with minor bodywork at the front corners of the hood to make it fit with the GMC headlights and fender corners.

I have seen 2010 hood vents and center sections grafted into 06+ Silverado hoods but that’s a lot more work.
Center section and ventS is possibly what I have photos of. I have never been able to find any write ups about this mod. Looks good. But I may pass on that much work. It’s just a parts runner. But eager to find any info. Photo posted.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
That is similar to what I’ve seen done on the 06+ Hood. You have to cut out the center outer skin from the 2010 hood and graft it into the center of the older hood. I remember one thread a long time ago on another forum where someone started it but never posted a finished job. The RGVtrucks guys did this pretty regularly I think though.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,238 Posts
I understand this is on a Silverado. But it sure looks possible. I do realize the headlight area of the fenders is slightly different on the 2001 Yukon. But I’m not against running Silverado lights and grill as well.
You know Sierra and Silverados use different fenders right?

It's literally taking the skin off the nnbs hood and reworking it to fit. This is why I asked.

And that looks like shit. Way too bulky

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well if I build it, I built it for me. Otherwise every truck would look the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts