GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My 2013 4X4 Sierra 1500 with 60,000 miles has rust bubbles about to break out on the top left side quarter panel. I had estimates from 3 body shops and they are basically saying it will eventually come back somewhere else after they fix it. One technician told me to trade it in and get something else. Other than the rust this is a really nice running and looking truck and I don't want to spend mega bucks on another truck. Has anybody out there dealt with rust on the quarter panel? How did you handle it? I see some quarter panel pieces advertised but don't know if I should go that route. I also have looked at some rust inhibitor products but that seems a little late for this rust issue but could be a solution for further deterioration. Thanks in advance
Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,618 Posts
Yes. If you see it bubbling on the outside that means it started from the back. Only way to fix it is to cut out the entire panel. Have another one welded in.

Otherwise, yes it will keep coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
If you really like this truck and want to keep it for a long time, if look for a clean used bed from someplace they don’t use salt. I’d also be checking your rocker panels too. If you’ve got bubbles on the bed sides, the rockers probably aren’t far behind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. If you see it bubbling on the outside that means it started from the back. Only way to fix it is to cut out the entire panel. Have another one welded in.

Otherwise, yes it will keep coming back.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you really like this truck and want to keep it for a long time, if look for a clean used bed from someplace they don’t use salt. I’d also be checking your rocker panels too. If you’ve got bubbles on the bed sides, the rockers probably aren’t far behind.
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
As stated before, I would replace the entire bedside so you can treat the inside of everything while the skin is off. I would inspect the backside of the other panel also. If it has rust inside I would get a replacement bed. Pull the plugs out of the inner rockers and look at the inside of them, they are probably rusty also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, rear quarter panel on my Tahoe started out as a small bubble, now it's a hole the size of a softball in less than a year. Rocker panels just had some paint chip off and I can tell it's going to be the exact same deal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
Take a look at NNBS trucks and notice that the ones with the rear wheel well liners usually never have the quarters bubbling with rust, since they help keep the elements out.

I would replace the whole bedside to be right and if you plan on keeping the truck. A patch panel would be your second option but replacing the bed side is just as easy if not easier with little to no bondo as compared to a patch panel.

I coated the inside of my truck bed sides, cab corners, inner rockers and fender heels with Eastwood internal frame coating kit in black which etches the inner panels and protects.

·
Super Moderator
5,618 Posts
That’s not where the rust starts. It starts on the back side of the panel and on top of the inner fender.

It’s why there are three rubber plugs on the underside of the fender you remove to clean the crap that sits in that seem.

Fender liners do not help stop terminal rot from starting on the back side of the bed. Only surface rust that starts when paints chipped off

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Also getting a used box could be a bad decision since its probably not far from rusting and bubbling like the original unless you get one from down south. Im having my whole box side on the passenger redone due to the same issue.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
If you take your taillight out you can see in to where it’s rusting from. If you want to slow it down you could spray in some corroseal from that vantage point and buy some time. Otherwise if you want to fix it plan on replacing the inner and outer fender. Here are some pics of my project on my 09.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

My 2013 4X4 Sierra 1500 with 60,000 miles has rust bubbles about to break out on the top left side quarter panel. I had estimates from 3 body shops and they are basically saying it will eventually come back somewhere else after they fix it. One technician told me to trade it in and get something else. Other than the rust this is a really nice running and looking truck and I don't want to spend mega bucks on another truck. Has anybody out there dealt with rust on the quarter panel? How did you handle it? I see some quarter panel pieces advertised but don't know if I should go that route. I also have looked at some rust inhibitor products but that seems a little late for this rust issue but could be a solution for further deterioration. Thanks in advance
Bob
Hello,

Bob
If you were going to restore the truck to put on a pretty shelf, then yes go to the expense of cutting out the rust and either patching with a panel or a entire new quarter. However I would tell anyone in your position to look at the POR15 products on the market today. If properly used you could save a lot of money and have a repair that looks just as good. The level of success depends on the prep work, following the instructions, and not having a short man complex. I restore cars, there is a time to weld and a time to use POR15 Expoxy IMHO. Do as you will but Youtube has a lot of videos on the subject.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts