GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Silverado LTZ 4WD, 89K miles.

Yesterday my "service stabilitrack" and "service traction control" lights came on. Truck was still driving fine, no hard shifting, no check engine light. Ran a scan anyway, and of course no codes. The lights have gone off now and everything is fine. But as I was looking around under the hood to see if I noticed anything obvious, I noticed a short ground wire that's grounded to the firewall (right beside the main engine ground) and not connected to anything. It's only about 12-14". I know a million different things can cause the traction/stabilitrack issues, but could it be this ground? And if so, where does it need to be connected? Otherwise, is it possible that this is a random unneeded ground that hasn't been connected to anything the whole time? See attached for reference:
Ground.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
That should be a ground strap for the hood.
If I were you thr first thing I would do is check and clean the grounds on the frame directly under the driver's floorboard. Should be 1 or 3 on a 13mm bolt with star washer.
Are there any codes present in the EBCM?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I were you thr first thing I would do is check and clean the grounds on the frame directly under the driver's floorboard. Should be 1 or 3 on a 13mm bolt with star washer.

*2or3 ground wires

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well you were right, it was for the hood and I completely overlooked it. Long story short, the traction control and stabilitrack went away. But this weekend the check engine light came on. Pulled the code, 0301, cylinder 1 misfire. So it could be the plug, or coil. But I think it could also be a failing lifter with the AFM? Suffice to say, I’m taking it to my independent local guy in the morning to check it out. If I was certain it was the plugs or coils I’d do it myself today, but I’ll be pissed if I do all that and it’s still not fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well you were right, it was for the hood and I completely overlooked it. Long story short, the traction control and stabilitrack went away. But this weekend the check engine light came on. Pulled the code, 0301, cylinder 1 misfire. So it could be the plug, or coil. But I think it could also be a failing lifter with the AFM? Suffice to say, I’m taking it to my independent local guy in the morning to check it out. If I was certain it was the plugs or coils I’d do it myself today, but I’ll be pissed if I do all that and it’s still not fixed.
*2or3 ground wires
I

I would be totally shocked if it were a bad ignition coil. I have been working in these motors since they have been out and I have only replace 3 bad ones, ever. The rarely ever go bad.
I would be more suspect of a failed or failing injector. And in fact I have seen more of the 4 into 1 coil harnesses be bad than coils.
I would start with plugs and wires if you can't remember the last time a tune up was done.
And then take a long screwdriver and use it as a stethoscope to listen to each injector one by one to listen for the clicking sound with injector pulse

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I

I would be totally shocked if it were a bad ignition coil. I have been working in these motors since they have been out and I have only replace 3 bad ones, ever. The rarely ever go bad.
I would be more suspect of a failed or failing injector. And in fact I have seen more of the 4 into 1 coil harnesses be bad than coils.
I would start with plugs and wires if you can't remember the last time a tune up was done.
And then take a long screwdriver and use it as a stethoscope to listen to each injector one by one to listen for the clicking sound with injector pulse
Yep, at the shop now. It’s the plug. So I’m doing all plugs and wires. Damn thing is, my last vehicle, a 2003 Yukon, I had for 12 years and put over 200K miles on it and to my recollection never replaced any plugs or wires. Go figure.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Yep, at the shop now. It’s the plug. So I’m doing all plugs and wires. Damn thing is, my last vehicle, a 2003 Yukon, I had for 12 years and put over 200K miles on it and to my recollection never replaced any plugs or wires. Go figure.
That’s just terrible on your part

Wait till you find out about the AFM/DOD on this new 5.3.

Reactions: OGWhyte

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Yeah, well I was a broke shithead back then.
The AFM/DODon these 5.3s are much less forgiving than the older LM7s. Some easy reading and info if you google it. They run through plugs and oil changes because of it.

But for future reference they use spark to control traction and stabil trac. 9/10those to lights are a sign of fouled spark plugs, can’t keep up with traction or pcm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The AFM/DODon these 5.3s are much less forgiving than the older LM7s. Some easy reading and info if you google it. They run through plugs and oil changes because of it.

But for future reference they use spark to control traction and stabil trac. 9/10those to lights are a sign of fouled spark plugs, can’t keep up with traction or pcm.
Appreciate it. I’ve been reading on it some and it’s frustrating. I miss the older easier to fix engines.
Now I’m starting to think my oil pressure sensor is starting to go bad too. I’m getting significant fluctuations in the pressure, but truck is running fine, oil level is fine, etc.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Appreciate it. I’ve been reading on it some and it’s frustrating. I miss the older easier to fix engines.
Now I’m starting to think my oil pressure sensor is starting to go bad too. I’m getting significant fluctuations in the pressure, but truck is running fine, oil level is fine, etc.
They decided to put a filter under the oil pressure sensor. Bust it out.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts

Reactions: TravelingLight
1 - 12 of 12 Posts