GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to install a larger than stock transmission cooler on my Yukon as I'm seeing over 200 deg F when towing and it's not even warm weather yet. I'm looking at the Derale 10000 series (p/n 13403) but I've never wandered into this area before and am not sure what to think of the stock connections on the cooler that's there.

Does anyone have experience with this type of install? How do I connect the stock lines to the aftermarket cooler? They are hard-rubber-hard with a little flex, but not enough to make the spread for the new cooler. And help would be appreciated

·
Registered
47 Posts
Your lines have a funky snap fitting where they terminate. The clearances to steering components critical. Not quite sure how they want the lines fastened on the new unit but a 3/8 equivalent compression fittings are available, and I'll bet braided lines are out there also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Your lines have a funky snap fitting where they terminate.
Yeah... so this is the question. Are there adapters that fit on those "funky snap fiitings" that allow me to run hose to the new cooler? Or do I cut the factory lines at the rubber flex section and use a barb/barb hose fitting to run to the new cooler? And what fittings go on the cooler end. They sure don't make this straightforward....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cutting at the flex section and using a hose barb probably wouldn't hold the pressure of the supply line. Best to hardpipe to existing line set with a compression fitting if you can't find a line kit for the thing

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Tru cool 40k cooler. Very common upgrade with tons of write ups. Tubbing cutter to the hard line, then slide on clamp rubber is the norm.

Plus you have a thermostat in-line, in that transmission. Bigger coolers do nothing till you get rid of that. I’ve tired personally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plus you have a thermostat in-line, in that transmission. Bigger coolers do nothing till you get rid of that. I’ve tired personally.
I was unaware there was a thermostat... so adding a larger cooler will not affect total peak temperature? That seems counter intuitive.... the radiator doesn't come into play until the thermostat opens either, but the size and efficiency absolutely affects ultimate coolant temp... perhaps I misunderstood what you're trying to say???

·
Some dude on the internet
782 Posts
I was unaware there was a thermostat... so adding a larger cooler will not affect total peak temperature? That seems counter intuitive.... the radiator doesn't come into play until the thermostat opens either, but the size and efficiency absolutely affects ultimate coolant temp... perhaps I misunderstood what you're trying to say???
The thermostat is located on the side of the trans where the line housing is. He is right, putting in a larger radiator will do nothing since the thermostat will compensate for it. THere are tons of threads and how-tos out there to flip the pill or delete the thermostat entirely, which is a good ide if you aren't in a super cold climate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thermostat is located on the side of the trans where the line housing is. He is right, putting in a larger radiator will do nothing since the thermostat will compensate for it. THere are tons of threads and how-tos out there to flip the pill or delete the thermostat entirely, which is a good ide if you aren't in a super cold climate.
I live in Montana and we see anywhere from -20F to 100F. I was planning on blocking the aux. cooler in the winter any way....

·
Some dude on the internet
782 Posts
Delete it. GM mainly put it there for "fuel efficiency" anyway so the fluid heats up faster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I completely missed where you said it was 2013.
No worries.... I learned a lot about my transmission going down that rabbit hole.... interestingly enough, GM added the thermostat in 2014 and anecdotally the failure rate on that transmission went up. :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts