GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Entirely too loud. Way too much drone. Definitely a completely different tone all together from the NBS/NNBS 5.3 with said muffler.

1500-2000RPMS is absolutely unbearable drone. Absolutely deafening. Have ordered a Flowmaster Delta 50 to take its place.

For any '14+ owners thinking about a Flowmaster 40, I wouldn't recommend it. Especially if you plan on using your phone, bluetooth, or radio. I'll also mention that V4 mode is utterly unbearable while on the highway. It creates a thumping sensation in your ears comparable to having only the back 2 windows rolled down in a Yukon/Tahoe @ highway speeds.

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
Re: 2014 5.3 + Flowmaster 40 = fuck me

Flowmasters: Entirely too loud. Way too much drone. Way too inefficient. Way too hillbilly *******.

For any anyone anywhere at any time who is thinking about getting a Flowmaster, DON'T!
:shake: well said, sir :shake:

·
4,725 Posts

excellent thread.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I've enjoyed the tone Flowmaster provides on my previous GM trucks. Even experimented with other brands and wasn't very pleased. It's all personal preference. But this truck is shockingly loud with a 40 series under it. I was blown away when they started it up @ the muffler shop. I knew after getting it on the highway 10 minutes later that I was going to be changing it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts

how far is it piped back? is it a si/so?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Single in. Dual out.

Piped to 3" dumps hidden behind the lower rear quarter panels. Exhaust exits near the far lower corners of the bumper basically.

The new Delta 50 I ordered is a 3" single in/out. Gunna pipe it similar to factory and just put a double wall 45 cut SS tip on it.

·
Registered
19,437 Posts

Depening on the angle the exhaust is dumped even that far back you can cause it to be louder in the cab. Floor masters are always going to drone. Get a muffler you can see straight through :shake:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Glasspack style "mufflers" just don't do it for me. I've tried them before on other trucks I've had and always thought they were too raspy. Obviously at this juncture rasp would be better than drone however!

I've read decent reports on the Delta 50. Along with some sound clips I've heard, I feel confident that it will be better than my initial choice.

Still shocked that a 40 series put out that much ruckus. I've had 3 prior trucks (all with 40 series) and the tone this 2014 creates just blows them out of the water.

Guess that's one of the many differences between the Ecotech and Vortec motors.

·
Registered
382 Posts

I had a 40 on my NBS and hated the drone! That being said my NNBS has the stock muffler dumped.

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts

love the thread title...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

My NBS still has a 40 on it now (dumped in front of rear axle) and sounds great. Doesn't drone at any RPM. Just puts out a nice throaty rumble. My 08 NNBS had a 40 as well. Mild drone. But nothing to fuss about.

Hell, I even had an old square body with true duals and 40's on each set of pipes with no cats. Thing sounded spectacular!

But as I've mentioned several times now. This 2014 is a totally different monster with that 40 series. Would've tickled me to death in high school. But not now with a wife and kids who carpool around with me.

My wife cannot stand to go 5 miles in the damn thing! And my daughters both attempt to cover their ears when the RPMs are between 1500-2000. Which is when the drone is absolutely deafening.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts

well then with the flow 50 see if they can run it on it side so that the big flat sides aren't facing the floor of the truck.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts

this thread = :lol2:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

this thread = :lol2:
Be that as it may, I see 10+ threads a day about exhaust setups on these newer trucks. Which exhaust sounds best? Who has this exhaust? How does X sound vs Y. Hopefully people actually use the search function and can find this thread.

Anyone who is looking for drone and a super aggressive sound. By all means. I'll sell you this one cheap!

For the Flowmaster critics. I'm not a member of this forum for the purpose of defending a multimillion dollar company to a handful of people.

Use my experience to save yourself the coin.

·
00silvy
3,679 Posts

Glasspack style "mufflers" just don't do it for me. I've tried them before on other trucks I've had and always thought they were too raspy. Obviously at this juncture rasp would be better than drone however!
He was talking of a straight through muffler like a Magnaflow or Borla or something similar. Magnaflow will definitely have no rasp with stock manifolds and cats.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts

agree my magnaflow 18" sounds very smooth and while cruising it is barely audible over the tires not to mention radio.

sounds exactly like this guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i92Azi7gyhM

·
Registered
4,874 Posts

my magnaflow was so quiet when i first put it on i thought i put my factory exhaust back on.

after putting some miles on it its still quiet but you can hear it if you want to. aka perfect to me.

my exhaust before was a blowmaster 40 series and it was exactly as you said, loud, annoying, drones like crazy, but it was free and i was 18 so LOL. times have changed.

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
2014 5.3 + Flowmaster 40 = fuck me

I feel your pain brotha!!!......have A set of LT with the ORY in to Si/Do 40 series exited in front of the rear tire on the pass side...that is extremly loud, makes me feel like im 16 again with my first loud truck..plan on changing it in the spring time, but i gotta find something i like first.

Windows fully up in the first vid showin the cluster

http://youtu.be/CMt9Yda2J1I

Windows fully down an right beside another truck

http://youtu.be/5dXt8VCs4y4

This is jus a awful vid..mostly for audio but Gf was jus crusin down the street the night i finished the LT install

http://youtu.be/Gd7rcCv8io8

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

I have the delta flow on my nnbs and love it. The 40 series on my old nbs was annoying as fuck. You won't regret getting the 50delta.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts